Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 3, 2012, 08:41 AM
    Send Holiday Cards for Recovering Veterans
    Posted: 02 Dec 2012 06:50 AM PST on The Bathroom Monologues

The short: the Red Cross is collecting holiday cards for veterans recovering in American hospitals. It's to participate, will take one minute of your day, and could seriously touch someone who needs it. Click here for every bit of information you need to send a card.

If that's all you need, then awesome. But we're going to run a little long because we should discuss this. Firstly, in the last two weeks a false message has been circulating through social networks, particularly Facebook, asking people to send holiday cards to soldiers at Walter Reed Hospital, where so many wounded veterans recover. It appealed to a spirit of charity and compassion. It was very nice except that it was a hoax; Walter Reed doesn't have staff to handle that kind of mail, has no such program, and the address was likely posted by a troll trying to annoy them using your kindness to do it. It's despicable.

However, the American Red Cross is running a program like that. Somehow the Walter Reed drive gained more attention than the Red Cross one, but organizations like Snopes have crossed the two stories so that anyone moved by the hoax can still do something kind. It's my favorite thing I've ever experienced through Snopes, and they'd had some amazing hits over the years.

The Red Cross has very few rules about this drive, and they all seem quite sensible to me.

--Ensure that all cards are signed.

--Use generic salutations such as “Dear Service Member.” Cards addressed to specific individuals can not be delivered through this program.

--Only cards are being accepted. Do not send or include letters.

--Do not include email or home addresses on the cards: the program is not meant to foster pen pal relationships.

--Do not include inserts of any kind, including photos: these items will be removed during the reviewing process.

--Please refrain from choosing cards with glitter or using loose glitter as it can aggravate health issues of ill and injured warriors.

--If you are mailing a large quantity of cards, please bundle them and place them in large mailing envelopes or flat rate postal shipping boxes. Each card does not need its own envelope, as envelopes will be removed from all cards before distribution.

All mail must be postmarked by December 7th.

They're pretty much asking you to keep it short. You can be any religion or irreligion, and say almost anything. You can send your cards here:

Holiday Mail for Heroes
    P.O. Box 5456
    Capitol Heights, MD 20791-5456

So you've got a week to write two sentences to someone who was injured serving our country. That seems reasonable to me. I'm not a card-giver or letter-writer. I have a nerve imbalance in my hands that makes it excruciatingly painful; keyboards and e-mail were godsends to me. But today, once I finish my allotment of edits on Last House in the Sky, I'm going to fill out some greeting cards.

Thank you.
    John Wiswell

Check out some similar questions!

Veterans Day [ 7 Answers ]

Hello Veterans: Thank you. excon

Ashamed by way Veterans are treated [ 83 Answers ]

Yesterday I was working a case and looking for a potential witness. Story is this - witness is a two-time Veteran of Iraq, deployed twice (obviously). Came home with "anger issues." Went to VA which is understaffed and overworked. They suggested private counselling which he cannot afford. Was...

Q about Veterans benefits and the requirements [ 10 Answers ]

I am waiting for a job. I take care of elderly people and the family of this one man told me that they could not hire me yet because the militery insurance would not pay for a caregiver till there was some problems with the house like a bad spot in the floor and the wiring is bad. They said the...

Got holiday tickets not paid for holiday [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I really hope someone can help me. I booked a holiday in Feb and only paid low deposit. Then due to finaces I did not pay anymore so could not go. This morning the holiday tickets (flight and accommodation ) arrived. I went on the website to try and pre-book the flight seats and it let...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.