Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mathematician Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 11:43 AM
    Dual residency status and education deductions
    I was on an F1 student visa from 2000 to 2006, and became a resident alien for tax purposes in 2005 (the sixth calendar year I was in the US). I moved permanently from the US to Canada in November 2006, and was considered a resident for tax purposes in Canada once I arrived there.

I was told by the IRS international services rep that I qualified as a dual resident for 2006, and should file a 1040 for the time I spent in the US as a resident alien, and a 1040NR for the time I was in Canada (hence a US nonresident alien).

Does this seem correct?

If I am a dual resident, may I claim a tuition deduction on line 35 of the 1040 form? I read that a dual citizen cannot claim a education credit, but am unsure if this refers only to the "explicit" Hope and Lifelong Learning credits, or any education related expenses such as tuition fees, which I would like to deduct on line 35. FWIW, my tuition expenses were incurred while I was a resident alien.

Thanks in advance.

Simon
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Simon:

Sorry, if you file as a dual-status alien, you CANNOT claim any education credit or deduction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OPT to H1 status (dual-status?) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, This question has been asked a few times already, but I want to confirm. I have been in the US on F-1 since 2003. I was working on OPT from June 2005 to Feb 2006, and on H-1 from Mar 2006 onwards. Should I file as a resident or dual-status? Based on the previous answers, it seems like I...

Dual Status Return & Dual Status Statement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE: Just curious, which amount will be refunded to us if we file 1040 as Dual Status Statement & 1040NR as Dual Status Return? Or the total of both? Best, Jesslyn

Education Deductions [ 4 Answers ]

Can a person claim the education credits for the fees paid to a truck driving school?

Deductions for dual-status [ 2 Answers ]

I am using 1040-nr form for filing my taxes. Since I am on h1 from nov. 1, 2004 (before that I was on f1 for 5 years), I cannot take standard deduction. My question is which deductions can I take?? I am indian so can I take $4500 deduction acc. To india treaty? What about itemized deductions?...

View more questions Search