Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maamold Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2012, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    But that's where I think you are wrong. Your final 2012 Pay period ends 12/22. That's how your company currently works. The final pay period for the NEW company is 12/15. Since you were already paid an extra week (12/15-12/22) under the OLD schedule, they can only pay you for 40 hours in the first pay period under the new schedule.
    Ok, that is the first thing that makes a little sense, the *books* can't pay me for what I've already been paid.

But I'm still confused at how as a Salary exempt can have 26 pay-periods one year (2012) and get 52,000 annual salary. The next year (2013) 26 pay-periods but 1 paycheck is 1/2 normal so the annual salary is only 51,000, then the next year everything is back to 26 normal pay periods for a total of 52,000 annual salary.

How is it OK for salary exempt employee to lose $1000 in their annual pay simply because a move of paydates?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 3, 2012, 05:30 PM
    How does this sound:
    On December 20, 2013, you will receive a full paycheck, even though 2014 starts half way through it, on December 16. So your W 2 will show the 2 single weeks, the one at the beginning and the one at the end, and it will add up to 26 full weeks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 4, 2012, 05:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maamold View Post
    Ok, that is the first thing that makes a little sense, the *books* can't pay me for what I've already been paid.

But I'm still confused at how as a Salary exempt can have 26 pay-periods one year (2012) and get 52,000 annual salary. The next year (2013) 26 pay-periods but 1 paycheck is 1/2 normal so the annual salary is only 51,000, then the next year everything is back to 26 normal pay periods for a total of 52,000 annual salary.

How is it OK for salary exempt employee to lose $1000 in their annual pay simply because a move of paydates?
    I don't think you are losing. This is all a matter of timing. The 2012 pay cycle for your old company was such that the payroll year ended very early. I think you will find that your W2 probably will reflect $53K.
    maamold Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2012, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I don't think you are losing. This is all a matter of timing. The 2012 pay cycle for your old company was such that the payroll year ended very early. I think you will find that your W2 probably will reflect $53K.
    I guess my main concern is that my bank account for 2013 will only show a total deposit of 51K instead of 52K especially in Jan when I will have a paycheck on the 4th that is $1000 less than if I had my normal paycheck on the 10th . Not happy about having to set aside money in December paychecks to cover my short Jan paycheck.

I thought that was the purpose of being Salary - Exempt, always the same amount in the paycheck no matter what. Guess I was wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My employer considers me salary on a 50 hour work week and pays me a rate of 700 week [ 1 Answers ]

My employer considers me on a 50 hour salary ,paying 700.00 weekly ,but if I only work 48 or anything less than 50 hours a week they pay me only straight time ,what I'm saying is that if I work 45 hours they pay me 45 hours straight time ,I'm just wondering if that is legal

Ex-Employer not paying salary [ 0 Answers ]

Worked in Company A and every time a month's salary was delayed by a month or two.It finally reached a stage where my 5 months salary was pending. The employer Ambuj Kumar(CEO) portrayed himself as Babloo Sharma(Operations Head) and was single-handedly running the workplace. He did not want to...

What can I do if my current employeer is not paying salary? [ 0 Answers ]

Can any one please advise me I have been working here for 9 months At the time of joining they took my "Originals" and "bond for 2 years" From the starting they are not paying salaries regularly and keep pending 2 months salary They don't want to relieve any one.

Employer not paying salary [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All, My employer didn't pay me two months salary and has closed down the company. I took a transfer to some other company but still didn't get my two months pay. Do you think I can still go against him legally even if the company is closed? Quick replies will be appreciated . Thanks

Ex employer not paying salary- Complaint in DOL [ 5 Answers ]

What happend: I joined NJ base consulting company A and they offered an x amount as aannual salary. They didn't give full month salary but was giving part of it. When enquired about it they said they would give me after an year or when there is an account settlement. So I moved to Company B...

View more questions Search