Ask

View Poll Results: December 22 or Not?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Will the Earth be devistated on December 21

0 0%
  • Were the Mayans nuts?

1 8.33%
  • Are people who think the world will end nuts?

11 91.67%
  • Do you have any New Era resolutions?

1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2012, 08:29 PM
    The end is nigh!
    December 21, 12-21-12 if you live in the US and are into numerology is approaching, and according to the Mayans, the world will end, not withstanding their world ended so time ago. Perhaps they were a little out in their calculations, say 500 years, and it wasn't cosmic catalysm thet befell them, but the Spanish. They were victims of Christopher Columbus just like the rest of you..

Notwithstanding the history lesson, something about being careful what you wish for, there are people today who are in a mass panic because they think the world will end. Are you one of them? Please let us know if you are
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2012, 11:12 AM
    Matt 24:36
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2012, 12:32 PM
    You better research the Kolbrin Bible and prepare for Planet X.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2012, 12:34 PM
    Jerry 24:67
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2012, 01:29 PM
    No one knows the day or the hour
    kmcar529 Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

Dec 3, 2012, 02:26 PM
    Maybe the Mayans got tired of predicting the future and decided to stop with 12/21/12. After all, you can't predict all of eternity because it would take all of eternity to do so. :)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 3, 2012, 02:32 PM
    The Mayans didn't have our calendar, and didn't predict 12/21/12.
    They were probably aware of the zodiac change (to the age of what we call Aquarius) that many parts of the world had, even with different names, based on the ~2,000 year cycle that is ~1/13 of the cycle of the precession of the equinox.
    In fact, prophets liked to predict all sorts of cataclysms and messiahs. Jesus arrived at the last change of the constellations.
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2012, 02:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    The Mayans didn't have our calendar, and didn't predict 12/21/12.
    They were probably aware of the zodiac change (to the age of what we call Aquarius) that many parts of the world had, even with different names, based on the ~2,000 year cycle that is ~1/13 of the cycle of the precession of the equinox.
    In fact, prophets liked to predict all sorts of cataclysms and messiahs. Jesus arrived at the last change of the constellations.
    With the possibility he might come back with this one.

The Mayan long count finishes on December 21, Their religion predicts a cataclysm at that time, thus the panic as some people think their predictions are based on knowledge. These people were primitative with limited ability to observe the skys and anything outside their immediate vicinity and they may have predicted their own demise
    current pert

Dec 3, 2012, 03:20 PM
    Many disagree that 12/21/12 marks a cataclysm. It isn't even the end of the long count, but the end of part of one. The next 'end' (I read) is on 10/13/4772.

I believe that the Mayans, Hindus, and Egyptians knew about precession of the equinoxes before 2,000 BC. Evidence that they knew is another whole subject.
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2012, 03:50 PM
    I have all my old Y2K supplies up on EBay .They are a little dusty but servicable. Did have to burn one of the candles for a day last month ;but they are otherwise intact.
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2012, 03:51 PM
    How do we know it is the first long count?
    current pert

Dec 3, 2012, 05:12 PM
    Mayans started creation 3114 BC. Add that to 4772 AD and I think a long count is 7886 years, and we are have a ways to go.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 3, 2012, 06:55 PM
    The mayans never predicted the end of the world. Its just the end of their largest cycle. The only thing that they predicted is that there will be a change in solar activity. Even our own scientists believe that there will be changes coming as we pull away from the center of our galaxy and go through this phaze.
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2012, 07:16 PM
    There is some debate about what the long count represents, recurring cycles of 5126 years, or a cycle of 64 million years, which if you remember lines up with the last great annilihation.
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2012, 04:57 AM
    I think the end of the world is here . The Mayan's managed to destroy the indestructable Twinkie.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2012, 07:09 AM
    According to the bible, there has got to be a 7 year tribulation period and even before the tribulation the rapture of the church must happen. So no way it is the end of the world. The church could be raptured that day. That would be cool. But I sincerely doubt it. The day will come and go just like May 21, 2011... so I guess I better go shop for Christmas.
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2012, 07:16 AM
    We are half way through an 8 year tribulation.

By the way ;not all of us Christians believe that Christians will be raptured before the tribulation. That's an easy way out . I think we are all in it together.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 4, 2012, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    The mayans never predicted the end of the world. Its just the end of thier largest cycle. The only thing that they predicted is that there will be a change in solar activity.
    Right, saying the Mayans prediceted the end of the world because their long counts ends is like saying that OfficeMax predicts the end of the world for Dec 31 because that's the last date on the calendar I bought from them.

Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Even our own scientists believe that there will be changes coming as we pull away from the center of our galaxy and go through this phaze.
    Not true - another canard from the crowd that enjoys spreading apocolypse myths. I challenge you to name a credible scientist who predicts any effect on the earth from such an event. And by the way, it's not that we are moving relative to the center of the galaxy, but rather that in our orbit about the galaxy we pass through the mid-point of the galactic plane twice each orbit (about every 120 million years), similar to how the a satellite in orbit abouit the earh passes over the equator twice each orbit. But determining the precise midpoint of the galactic plane is impossible, like trying to pinpoint the midpoit of a wispy layer of clouds. By most accounts we actually passed the midpoint sometime in the 1990's, so if it caused a change of some kind we all missed it.
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2012, 12:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    We are half way through an 8 year tribulation.

btw ;not all of us Christians believe that Christians will be raptured before the tribulation. That's an easy way out . I think we are all in it together.
    Yes Tom and we survived the 8 year tribulation before that, actually we are living in a post tribulation period
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 4, 2012, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Right, saying the Mayans prediceted the end of the world because their long counts ends is like saying that OfficeMax predicts the end of the world for Dec 31 because that's the last date on the calendar I bought from them.

Not true - another canard from the crowd that enjoys spreading apocolypse myths. I challenge you to name a credible scientist who predicts any effect on the earth from such an event. .

What event would you like me to quote? The sun releasing energy does effect the earth in many ways. Solar flares can wreck havok on electrical systems. Its happened before. What part would you like me to find for you as far as affects of the sun ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have Drug n Alcohol test on Monday morning, Can I drink beer on Friday and Sat nigh [ 1 Answers ]

I have Drug n Alcohol test on Monday morning, Can I drink beer on Friday and Sat night... I normaly drink 3 beer on fri and sat night which is extra dry platinum which contains 6.5 % in 345 ml bottel... will it affet me on Monday...

Should I tell my boyfriend of 5 years I had a one nigh stand with someone else? [ 9 Answers ]

Should I tell my boyfriend of 5 years that I had a one night stand twice and could possibly be pregnant? My boyfriend and I have been together for 5 years living in Tennessee, but the relationship was a rocky one at best. One day I received a job offer to move back to my home state, and I took...

View more questions Search