Ask

View Poll Results: December 22 or Not?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Will the Earth be devistated on December 21

0 0%
  • Were the Mayans nuts?

1 8.33%
  • Are people who think the world will end nuts?

11 91.67%
  • Do you have any New Era resolutions?

1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2012, 02:01 PM
    Yes a coronal mass ejection can wipe us out anytime, a supernova can wipe us out at anytime, an asteroid can wipe us out at anytime, despite the odds we are still here, and I happen to believe there is a reason for that. Our recorded history is very short, not even long enough to know what climate is normal. There is something pecular about Mayan mathematics, they had to modify their system to fit the length of a year, so how can we believe the count means anything
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 5, 2012, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    What event would you like me to quote? The sun releasing energy does effect the earth in many ways. Solar flares can wreck havok on electrical systems. Its happened before. What part would you like me to find for you as far as affects of the sun ?
    You said that "there will be changes coming as we pull away from the center of the galaxy and go through this phaze [sic]," so I'm wondering what changes you are referring to? I'm looking for any event that you believe would be caused or influenced by the position of the solar system within the galctic disk - none of the events you mention are influenced by that (as far as we know).
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 5, 2012, 10:57 AM
    The alignment of magnetic solar fields affect our own magnetic fields and causes shifts in the behavior of animals, insects and even humans since we all use the earths magnetic field to orient us.

For us its compasses and aircraft, and calibrated measuring tools, and a variety of other things we don't yet understand. Yes even airports have to change runways slightly to account for those polar shifts.

Given how crazy people have become I suspect we humans are more affected than we realize.

http://www.ehow.com/info_10047783_wo...ife-earth.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_magnetic_field

http://www.viewzone.com/magnetic.weather.html
    Expert

Dec 5, 2012, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    The alignment of magnetic solar fields affect our own magnetic fields and causes shifts in the behavior of animals, insects and even humans since we all use the earths magnetic field to orient us
    Clearly the earth's magnetic field is important, and in fact if it disappeared tomorrow we'd all be dead shortly thereafter. But I'm not sure what you mean by "solar fields affect our own magnetic field" - can you clarify how this works?

But I don't see what the point of your post was in this discussion - what do solar fields have to do with the Mayans and their funny calendar? If you're responding to my exchange with califdadof3, are you suggesting that the structure of the sun's solar field is somehow impacted by the sun's position in the galaxy? If so, how?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 5, 2012, 01:04 PM
    The whole Mayan calender is predicated on this 26,000 year cycle when our sun and earth align itself with the center of the milky way and also Venus's journey between earth and the sun. Not only does this suggest a deep understanding of the relationship with earth, the sun, and other planets but heavenly bodies that are even further out, like the center of our galaxy that's a part of an even greater galaxy.

Not just the Mayans but many old civilizations that when plotted out have many landmarks in perfect symmetry along lines of longitude and latitude that are to perfect for chance or coincidence and many believe that ancient man could actually chart the lines of the magnetic field of the earth that originate in the poles both north and south.

There are many accounts of ancient man seeing this precise time as a catalyst that will affect us and the inhabitants in adverse ways like the moons waxing and waning effects the tides, but I don't know about the gloom and doom stuff, but being water, minerals, and metals its logical that cosmic forces affect the earth and the inhabitants.

To a large extent the alignment of these solar forces have put us in a direct line to the full exposure to those forces with only our atmosphere to protect us. Its no coincidence that this alignment occurs during the winter solstice as many cultures on earth celebrate this time in many ways across the earth. Its no coincidence that its in the land of the Mayans that Venus will be seen at a certain time and place during this alignment because the Mayans have predicted this would happen through scientific means.

This alignment affects our sun, and us, but how? I don't know. They say that it will be heralded by earthquakes, and storms, and volcanic eruptions, and tidal waves. Seen any of those happening?
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2012, 02:05 PM

This alignment affects our sun, and us, but how? I don't know. They say that it will be heralded by earthquakes, and storms, and volcanic eruptions, and tidal waves. Seen any of those happening?
    No more so than usual Tal, you cannot have it both ways, either the increased intensity of storms is due to AGW or it is due to cosmic forces. Either Earthquakes and volcanic activity is due to plate techtonics or it is due to cosmic forces. Either tsumani are due to earthquakes or they are due to plate techtonics. To suggest plate techtonics are due to cosmic forces that cannot be measured is ridiculous
    Expert

Dec 5, 2012, 02:19 PM
    Wow - so much misinformation in a single post. Sigh. OK, here goes...

The whole Mayan calender is predicated on this 26,000 year cycle when our sun and earth align itself with the center of the milky way
    Wrong. The solar system takes 240 miilion years to orbit about the Milky Way, not 26,000 years. But of course the Mayans had no way to know that.

and also Venus's journey between earth and the sun.
    Wrong. Venus doesn't make a "journey" between earth and sun.

Not only does this suggest a deep understanding of the relationship with earth, the sun, and other planets but heavenly bodies that are even further out, like the center of our galaxy thats a part of an even greater galaxy.
    Oh boy... so now the Milky Way Galaxy is part of a "greater" galaxy? Where do you get this stuff? You need to be careful to not confuse what the Mayans believed with what New Agers today would like to say the Mayans believed. In reality they knew absolutely nothing about the structure of the Milky Way Galaxy or our solar system's place in it. Any idea that their long count calendar is somehow concident with the solar system's movement is just plain hooey. And also you should be aware that the whole idea that the Mayans predicted anything for December 22, 2012, or even that their calendar ends on that date, is incorrect - purposeful misinformation by people today eager to cash in on predictions of cataclism.

Not just the Mayans but many old civilizations that when plotted out have many landmarks in perfect symmetry along lines of longitude and latitude that are to perfect for chance or coincidence and many believe that ancient man could actually chart the lines of the magnetic field of the earth that originate in the poles both north and south.
    Interesting.. but immaterial.

There are many accounts of ancient man seeing this precise time as a catalyst that will affect us and the inhabitants in adverse ways like the moons waxing and waning effects the tides, but I don't know about the gloom and doom stuff, but being water, minerals, and metals its logical that cosmic forces affect the earth and the inhabitants.
    Cosmic forces? What cosmic forces? Please be specific. And as already noted there is no evidence that the ''ancients" have predicted anything for Dec 22, 2012 - this is a modern fabrication.

To a large extent the alignment of these solar forces have put us in a direct line to the full exposure to those forces with only our atmosphere to protect us. Its no coincidence that this alignment occurs during the winter solstice
    What "alignment" is that? You make several references to an "alignment" but haven't defined what you mean. There is no evidence that "solar forces" will be anything different on December 22 than on any other day.

as many cultures on earth celebrate this time in many ways across the earth. Its no coincidence that its in the land of the Mayans that Venus will be seen at a certain time and place during this alignment because the Mayans have predicted this would happen thru scientific means.
    What time and place is that? On December 22 Venus rises fairly late (about 10AM) and sets about 10 PM. Nothing unusual about that - doesn't seem to be a special alignment at all.

You need to be much more skeptical of the "they" that say this.
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2012, 02:34 PM
    You can't have skepticism when you are predicting cataclysm it ruins the entire concept. Dec 21 is an entirely concocted date. Calculations of the date for commencement of this long count vary widely and the idea that it started in 3114 BC is because three of the mathemeticians arrived at a similar but not the same date but some calculations vary by centuries. I think someone has made a best fit based on later knowledge which was unknown to the Mayans. We don't know what was known to them and what wasn't, the spaniards, in their religious zeal, destroyed most of the civilisations records and what we do know is from deciphering stone inscriptions. Even their calendar is a best fit, they modified their mathematic system to fit the year. Who derives a calendar on a 20.20.20.18.20 notation system, it is even more irrational than our 12.31/30/28.7 system if anything could be and absolutely meaningless in cosmic terms
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2012, 04:50 PM
    The alignment explained :
    Check out Woody Harrelson & John Cusack -2012 Clip - YouTube

Lol
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 5, 2012, 04:52 PM
    There is a thinking that we may shift slightly between gravitational forces in the universe. To be more specific the effects of the bar (spiral arm) that we are located in. It is thought that alaignments of gravitational forces can cause subtle changes in our sun. What exactly we don't know for sure. That is why we have to monitor it closely.
    Expert

Dec 5, 2012, 05:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Ah! So Hollywood is in charge of the "allignment"! That explains a lot.

I thought "Ghost Busters" was a much better movie that "2012," and much more realistic, don't you think? With the Pillsbury Dough Boy destroying Manhattan - that's should have been our wake-up call, right?
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2012, 05:28 PM
    There are changes in the sun all the time, the idea that cosmic bodies influence us by gravitational or any other force is known as astrology. This is not science but nonsense. There are gravational distortions close to suns, singularities and so forth but to suggest they can predict cataclysm through primitive calculations hundreds even thousand of years ago is nonsense. Where is niburu, has it been sighted yet? Should be showing up by now. Where is that asteroid, are we not looking in the right place? Or is it composed of dark matter, or even more mysterious, dark energy. I think I had better go and don my tin foil hat. You want to check out some theories, check this out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4AN4bvR-lo
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Dec 5, 2012, 05:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post

I thought "Ghost Busters" was a much better movie that "2012," and much more realistic, don't you think? With the Pillsbury Dough Boy destroying Manhattan - that's should have been our wake-up call, right?
    "Ray, next time someone asks if you are a God, you tell them yes!"

"How about we split up we can do more damage that way"

"That's ok, the table broke its fall"

"That's not the behaviour one would normally expect from a major electrical appliance"

"No thanks- there is a least two of you in there already"

Tut
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Dec 5, 2012, 05:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    I hope they hurry and bring out the move otherwise there will be no one to see it.

Tut
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2012, 05:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TUT317 View Post
    I hope they hurry up and bring out the move otherwise there will be no one to see it.

Tut
    Isn't that the video I just posted, they did it in the movie 2012
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2012, 06:15 PM
    IT'S OFFICIAL THE END IS INDEED NIGH!

The world is becoming more bizairre, no lesser person than Julia Gillard, the little red fox, Prime Mimister of Australia, has jumped in with slipper in mouth, and endorsed the foolishness by announcing to the world that the world will end.

Julia Gillard: 'The end of the world is coming' | News.com.au

All I can say is the end of her world is indeed coming
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 5, 2012, 06:25 PM
    See you all on December 23. How many times do we have to have end of the world predictions that never happen, before we stop obsessing about this crap?

If it ends, there's nothing you can do about it. If it doesn't, it's just more proof that these sort of predictions are bull cacka.

I'm buying Christmas gifts, because there will be a Christmas. I'm doing what I normally do. If it happens, well, it happens. But I'd bet a million dollars that it doesn't happen. Kind of a win win for me if you take that bet. :)
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2012, 06:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post

It was the stay puft marshmallow man
    Ghostbusters Stay Puft Man - YouTube
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Dec 5, 2012, 09:36 PM
    The worl has been here for 4 billion years, and will be here for several more to years to come.

There was a planetary alignment back in 1982 and 2003 where six planets aligned, and nothing happened. Nothing will happen come the 21st. As for the Mayan calendar, well... it's the end of the cycle and another begins.

I remember when Nostradomos predicted the world was going to end in the mid 90's when I was a kid, and nothing happened. Y2k was a big deal and nothing happened...

If planet x were appraohing, then we would be able to see it by now, don't you think?

And if the world were to end, then there is nothing we can do about it.

I honestly don't know why I am posting in this thread. Really, I don't.

For those who believe it will happen, quick, get off your computer and go out there and have some amazing hot sex before this day takes place!
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2012, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma1999 View Post

I honestly don't know why I am posting in this thread. Really, I don't.
    It is optional you know

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have Drug n Alcohol test on Monday morning, Can I drink beer on Friday and Sat nigh [ 1 Answers ]

I have Drug n Alcohol test on Monday morning, Can I drink beer on Friday and Sat night... I normaly drink 3 beer on fri and sat night which is extra dry platinum which contains 6.5 % in 345 ml bottel... will it affet me on Monday...

Should I tell my boyfriend of 5 years I had a one nigh stand with someone else? [ 9 Answers ]

Should I tell my boyfriend of 5 years that I had a one night stand twice and could possibly be pregnant? My boyfriend and I have been together for 5 years living in Tennessee, but the relationship was a rocky one at best. One day I received a job offer to move back to my home state, and I took...

View more questions Search