Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

Dec 1, 2012, 09:32 AM
    Buying a new car- need some advice
    My son is in the market for a new car. He wants to put a cash down payment to keep his payments low. Question - and please don't be a car salesman : is it better for us to obtain the most favorable terms if we tell the dealership ahead of negotiating the final price that we will be putting a cash down payment ? Or, should we hold off on that until after we agree on the final purchase price ? Can the dealership force us to reveal ahead of time how we will be paying for the car ? Can we refuse to answer this question and simply say :"you will get your money for the car one way or another" ? Thanks
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 1, 2012, 09:51 AM
    First, the distinction between new and used car - I assume you mean actual 'new' car, not new for your son. Financing the two is worlds apart. A new-new car has tons of options for very low or even 0% financing, depending on the manufacturer's deal of the moment. You should see signs all over the showrooms as well as ads on TV. You don't have to get financing at the dealer, of course. But these days it's worth it.
    You don't have to tell the dealer a single thing when negotiating, but negotiating is partly all about how you will pay, so it's an art. Yes, say you plan to put down a hefty down payment, have good credit, and a good job. The number one thing to do is NEVER sign a contract the day you walk in. Exchange info with the salesperson and tell him you are going to X other places too before you decide. Yes, it will be annoying to be called, so give your email only. You may find that the price goes down within a day or two, if it didn't while you walked around.

Go online to get not only dealer bluebook and dealer 'cost' (sort of an iffy number, depending on what it includes), but also sites that compare the average sales price for specific make and models around your zip. Prices do vary around the country.

Now is the time to buy a new car. End of fiscal year for the dealer, not the car year, since 2013's have been out for months, but this is a good time to get a new 2012. February is the absolute final sale days for cars, but by then there's not much good inventory left.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting/Buying a car I need some advice [ 23 Answers ]

Hey everybody it's me again. I need some advice on something that I am about to do. I got my driver’s license on July 21, 2012. Now, two months later I need to find car but here the thing I watched a documentary that talked about the Federal Reserve and how they make their money out of thin air. I...

Buying a mobile home for a friend. Need advice on how to approach this. [ 5 Answers ]

As the title says, I would like to buy a mobile home for a friend and his family. This would be more of a loan than a gift. I would prefer to avoid a rent-to-own scenario as I do not want to incur repair expenses over time. Basically, I would like to buy it, put it in their names, and have them...

Need advice on buying a short sale and prior liens on the property. [ 6 Answers ]

I am buying a home as a short sale. When I went to sign the papers, they told me it had a lien on it. How can the lien be removed the owners don't have any money and the guy called, and they said they would not remove the lien. How can I get it off so I can buy this house?

Need advice about loans and process of buying 1st home [ 0 Answers ]

I found a foreclosed home in West Michigan that I am interested in trying to buy, but I would like to get some information from home buyers before hand. The home cost 28,500 and I'm sure that it has some minor problem maybe a couple major ones so I'm not really worried about that mostly just the...

Need advice buying new PC [ 1 Answers ]

I like to downloading from ITunes to IPods for my family and friends. What PC will give me the ability to do so, the fastest to multiple IPods on separate sessions at the same time? In conjunction, what is the fastest connection I can get for my home to ensure the fastest downloading? Fastest...

View more questions Search