Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hewitt1993 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2012, 10:26 PM
    92 prelude s won't start
    I have a 1992 Honda Prelude S 2.2. I did have a problem when I would drive it about 5 or 6 miles, long enough for it to get warm, it would shut off. Well, first, I changed the ignition coil, but that wasn't the problem. Then I got a new battery, and bought a used distributor and put it in. When I got everything in place and went to start it, it would act like it was going to, but never would. I haven't started it in about a month, of course there was no battery in it for that long. It has been in the 20's this last few weeks and I thought it might just be cold, but everything sounds fine when I try to start it, it just will not start. I have not drove my car in about a month and a half now and I would really like to get back on the road... without any problems. I would really like to know what the problem is. All the lights on the instrument panel come on and go off like normal. I have tried pumping the gas petal, pushing the steering column up and shifting through the gears, but nothing has helped. Please help me get back on the road... I'm going nuts!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2012, 06:42 AM
    If the Check Engine Light comes on for 2 seconds and then goes out, when the ignition switch is turned to ON (Position II), then the problem is with the distributor. What I would have done, on your original genuine Honda distributor, is replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil. I would have applied silicone heat transfer compound to the back of the new ICM. I only recommend genuine Honda distributor housings, where it's fine to install aftermarket ICMs and coils to keep the cost down. Most aftermarket distributors for Hondas, however, are unreliable junk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda prelude 92 won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a honda prelude 92 vtec and when I turn my ignition on it won't start all my lights on the dash are showing up and yes there is gas and my car and when it sounds like its going to start it doesn't. Please Help Anyone

Speedo needle won't light red prelude 4th gen [ 1 Answers ]

Speedo needle stopped lighting up red so can't see speed day or night prelude 4th gen any ideas welcome cheers

Prelude won't crank hot [ 1 Answers ]

My 92 prelude won't crank over when hot, after driving, in hot weather

Prelude won't start.. compression [ 0 Answers ]

I have an 89 prelude that stop running after my brother drove back to my house tunred off then came in and when he tried to leave would it would not start. We have changed sparked plugs and distributor and had a mobile mechanic look at it. We have spark it tries to start. Did a compression test and...

74 chevy truck will turn over but won't start. Will start with starter fluid but won't [ 1 Answers ]

My 74 chevy pickup sat over the winter and now it won't start. I was running just fine before I let it sit. It turns over but won't start. If I use starter fluid, it will start but won't stay running. I don't smell gas in the carb either. I'm thinking it's the fuel pump or the filter. Problem...

View more questions Search