Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daybreaker2013 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2012, 03:47 PM
    "plumber grade" vs "big box" vs "online" fixtures...
    I have heard/read that there is a difference in the part quality, etc when purchasing faucets and plumbing parts from a showroom vs big box retailers vs online. Even if they are the same manufacturer part number? Are the big box and online parts less durable/made of cheaper components that the showroom stuff? Or is this just builders and plumbers telling us this to get us to purchase at higher prices from the showroom? I can't seem to get a straight answer from an unbiased source.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 30, 2012, 03:53 PM
    My experience as a DIY homeowner is this: the big box stores do indeed sell cheaper versions of the same MODELS but they really are different part numbers.
    You don't have to buy showroom fixtures when you can get the same ones online for less.

The expert plumbers will be here soon to yay or nay this.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 30, 2012, 04:26 PM
    Im curious to see what the other plumbers have to say about this. We get our product directly through our suppliers and it is always top notch. I have seen the same product that home owners purchased at big box stores, or online that were most certainly not of the same standard. Possibly different manufacturing locations? Im extremely interested in finding answers on this. Mark, do you have any input on this?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 30, 2012, 04:30 PM
    Hi guys!

From my observations in my area, a moen faucet is the same at home improvement stores as well as at plumbing supply stores. The parts are the same for the same model number faucets, but a home improvement store may have a particular model manufactured for them that is a "cheaper version", but looks the same (will have a different model number... ;).

Basically, a symmons, kohler, delta, moen (as mentioned), and an american standard and any other national brand name faucet will be the same between stores, but the home improvement stores also tend to sell their own faucets/valves... pegausus from home depot comes to mind, price pfister is also another cheap brand... and these should be avoided.

In my experience, if you compare model number to model number of a national name brand between wholesaler and home improvement stores the parts and the warranty (lifetime in most cases today) are exactly the same! I would figure the same holds for faucets purchased online... model number to model number comparison.

You can definitely purchase a poor quality faucet online nowadays.. all kinds of names to choose from.

Mark
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 30, 2012, 05:58 PM
    I agree, Mark, model numbers are very important in these instances. One simple letter or number difference can mean a completely different item, or quality. I also know for a fact that there are many poor quality items out there when it comes to plumbing. This is another argument towards buying from an actuall plumbing company. Any plumbing contractor worth his/her salt will carry only high quality fixtures, etc, and will stand behind them.
    puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Nov 30, 2012, 10:03 PM
    One difference I see between plumbing supply house and big box stores are with Kohler toilets. Normally with same name on them (example: Wellworth Toilet). The Wellworth in a supply house and a big box store have different model numbers, one reason I suspect is in a supply house the bowl and tank come in two boxes and in a big box store the bowl and tank come in one box together. I have also seen a diffence in the ballcock and flapper assemby between a supply house and big box store toilet, a kohler toilet ballcock will be in the supply house model and a fluidmaster in the big box store model, but they are basically the same ballcock , both are made by Fluidmaster. If the savings are worth it I would not worry about buying a Name brand from a big box store. Certain brands are made for big box stores only, I would stay away from these.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please convert "Evolution", "Transformation", "Phoenix" in Sanskrit [ 0 Answers ]

Please convert 1. "Evolution", 2."Transformation", 3."Phoenix" in Sanskrit God bless - this will be used for a tattoo

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

Discovery, Animal Planet, "Lost Tapes" series: "Monster of Monterey" (Sharon Novak) [ 28 Answers ]

I watched this premier episode last night: Sharon Novak did a 171 day solo sailing trip and web-cammed it for nothingabout the real story. My opinion of the family of Discovery Channels has dropped several notches. Does anyone know the real story? I'll be the first to apologize if the...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

View more questions Search