Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kl66roberts Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2012, 11:59 AM
    The water heater nipples leak at the union of the water heater. Not the flex lines.
    We installed a water heater and we attached the nipples using sealing tape. The nipples leak where attached to the heater. The threads are clean and even on the nipples and feel the same on the inside of the water heater. What could be causing them to leak?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 30, 2012, 03:11 PM
    If they leaked at the inlets I'd shut the water off and remove then nipples Give the threads 3 wraps of Teflon Tape and use a 14" pipe wrench to tighten them. Good luck, Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 1, 2012, 02:40 PM
    Heck, I even say give it a good four or five wraps, or merely use pipe dope. The key here is the pipe wrench (or pump pliers if you have a plumbers grip) to get them things good and tight.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing Water Heater Nipples [ 4 Answers ]

I have determined that I have a blockage in the water heater that is restricting the hot water flow to the house. I believe it's a clogged/blocked nipple or heat trap. With all my strength, I cannot get the existing nipple to loosen. Do you have any suggestions to loosen the nipple? Maybe there...

Water heater leak (cold side only) where the nipple meets the water heater [ 9 Answers ]

I just bought a water heater and completely installed it. When I turned on the water supply, a very very very slow drip can be observed where the cold water nipple screws into the water heater. I shut off the water, relieved the pressure and unscrewed the nipple. I then re-apply the teflon tape...

Dripping Gas Water Heater at Nipples [ 6 Answers ]

Hi: I just installed a GE water heater and noticed that there are drips of water where I connected the adapters to the nipples. I used Shark Bite 3/4 inch adapter, also used teflon tape.

Hot water heater union fittings [ 1 Answers ]

I am taking out a 50 gallon hot water heater and replacing it with a tankless. The first problem is taking out the old tank. It does not have a typical union at both the hot and cold water pipes. It looks like a fitting which can be rotated and both ends should rotate out. I have never used this...

View more questions Search