Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LUVMUFN25 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2012, 05:26 PM
    Before things get messy, what should I do?
    Seven months ago, I ended an 11 year relationship with my children's father. I told myself that I would focus on being free and having fun considering I missed out on it during my previous relationship. Soon after I very casually starting seeing an ex from twelve years ago, I mean back then we were children and decided to try our hand as adults. On almost unspoken terms, we decided to avoid a relationship since both of us are fresh out of one. We hang out a lot and we really good friends. Though I never brought it to his attention, I started dating another person two months ago. Me and the new guy have a lot of commonalities, we go to the gun range, go cart, travel. But he also wants to take his time, using the phrase, "if it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't". I've been okay about it. This is where the problem begin. The more time I spend with both of them, the more intense it gets. No doubt that me and new guy are going places fast but truth is, I care about him and while I see things in the future for us, my feelings for him are lukewarm compare to my ex. I adore my ex, I could love him, and want a relationship with him. We both care about each other. It just when it comes to feelings, I don't express them because of the obvious fear of rejection. I want him so bad and the more intense we get, the more I become compelled to speak my peace. Whereas, at first I refrained, I shower him with affection and attention. He enjoys the perks. He also suspects there is someone else, he from time to time shows his jealousy but doesn't take it past a few words because of us being so "casual". I don't know what to do. I'm afraid to tell him, maybe he doesn't feel the same way. The fear of rushing into something and having it fail, looms. Then to I'm not ready to dump the new guy, cause we have so much fun. I managed to keep them both during this time, but this is getting super old. What should I do?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2012, 06:56 PM
    When you are casually seeing people and not involved physically, which isn't clear in your story, it's fine to see more than one person. When you start becoming sexual with the person and start having more serious romantic feelings about them, it is not really adviseable to continue seeing additional people. Rather, you should deal honestly with the person you have the feelings for, which does require some emotional risk on your part. Dating is more than 50% rejection, but better to find out if the person is not pursuing the relationship with hopes of growth than to grow closer in the interim.

I think you need to cut the less appealing guy loose. You don't have to slam the door on him but you can tell him that you have realized you have unresolved feelings about someone else, and want to deal with him honestly. You can let him know you aren't clear in what you are feeling but do think you need to tie up the loose ends with the other person before you can honestly and fairly date anyone else. He may never want to date you again, and he may be fine being just friends, and he may leave the door open if you want to come back, but those are his choices which you simply need to respect and honor.

It makes no sense to tell someone you want something "casual" when you do not want that. You block off possibility for yourself, and guarantee that you can't have what you want. If the guy tells you "if it happens it happens' that's an indication that he is open to possibility - any possibility. So, there's no reason you can't then say, "Hey, this casual thing - I'm not feeling that casual about you any more. I'm developing real feelings for you here. What do you think about that?"

The thing is, people view relationships as being so complicated by they are only complicated if you permit them to be. When you are honest, and respond not only to the words but also the actions of the other person, you can simplify things a lot.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2012, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LUVMUFN25
    What should I do?
    Leave them both alone. You're rebounding from the last relationship. I know this because you admitted to your "fear of rejection".

If you were at ease, rejection wouldn't bother you, because you would know that's just part of the dating game and you would accept it graciously.

You also wouldn't be dating two guys at the same time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Messy Room [ 9 Answers ]

My daughter's room is never clean for more than 10 hours. How can I fix this ? I was thinking of starting allowance but personally I do not believe in paying a child for something they should have done on their own.

She just went through a messy breakup [ 17 Answers ]

Recently I asked a coworker out and was given the answer that she had just gone through a messy breakup and was avoiding the dating scene for right now. Now before I get flamed for falling for a line, I had overheard her talking to a coworker a few weeks ago (I wasn't eavesdropping, I happened to...

Messy Roommate [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all. I am the owner of a house that is in the process of selling. I would love to start showing the house to perspective buyers, but have a roommate that has the messiest room I think I have ever seen, and is never home to clean it. What can I legally do to get this room clean for...

Very messy breakup [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone, long time viewer, first time posting anything. My name is T.J. and I'm 19. Ive just recently tried to begin the healing process of a very messy breakup with my 18 yr old ex ( we were together a year almost to the day). One day my sister was saying how she heard my ex had at...

View more questions Search