Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samm928 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2012, 05:58 PM
    No Hot No Hot Water From a 40 gal Whirlpool electric Water Heater
    I have the 40 gal Whirlpool electric.. same problem here, after two minutes (not even 10 gallons) the water gets cold or barely warm with the shower valve all the way to hot.. Very disapointed with Whirlpool.. my old tank was working like a champ before it started leaking.. I recomand Keenmore next time..
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 29, 2012, 08:18 AM
    Hi Sam and welcome to The Plumbing Page at AskMeHelpDesk.com You are responding to a 5 year old dead thread so I gave you one of your own. Please check the date before you post. Thanks,
    Several things could cause this problem.
    1. A burned out element **or** And this is what sounds like happened.
    2 The installer put too much heat on the cold water inlet and melted the plastic flange on the dip tube allowing the dip tube to fall into the tank.
    The dip tube directs the cold water to the bottom of the tank. (see image) where it's heated by the bottom element. If the dip tube fails then every time you make a hot water draw you're allowing cold water to enter at the top and cool off your draw.
    Shut the power and water off to the heater and open up the cold water inlet to check the tube. If you have ton replace the tube come off the inlet with a 4" brass nipple before you do any soldering. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a whirlpool electric water heater that doesn't work. How do I change elements? [ 14 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool electric water heater that doesn't work. How do I change elements? Do I have to drain the unit first? Is there any other reason why it would not work? The breaker box is not tripped. Thank you.

Whirlpool electric water heater - 40 gallon [ 1 Answers ]

My water heater quit working and I have replaced both elements and thermostats, have power running through, but still no hot water. What else could it be?

Reduced water pressure after changing the electric water heater (Rheem 50L) ? [ 2 Answers ]

We've just had our water heater changed yesterday and there appears to be a marked reduction in the water pressure not only in the shower but also in in the fauctes in our apartment ? All the fittings are the same except as the inlet was slightly higher than on the original unit, we have had to...

I have very low hot water pressure from my hot water heafrom an electric water heater [ 0 Answers ]

I have very low water pressure from my hot water heater. I can't find anything wrong.. any ideas?

Replaced electric water heater Atlanta area, but no hot water [ 14 Answers ]

The old water heater died. Bot one (38 gals) at HD. Installed exactly like the old one was as follows--3 CPVC pipes come out of wall. Two are joined. Before they are joined one has a valve. After they are joined there is a second valve. The pipe is connected to the cold side of the heater using...

View more questions Search