Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maxalto Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2012, 02:20 PM
    Selling apt in Moscow, want to minimize U.S. taxes
    Hey everyone,

I'm a Russian-American (with Russian residency) owner of an apt in Moscow that I'd like to sell soon.

If I understand this correctly, because I've owned this apartment for over 3 years, I do not need to pay taxes in Russia (since I am a tax paying resident).

This is where as they say "the plot thickens". I need to sell the apt and transfer the funds to the U.S. The problem is that the apt was purchased from a family friend who requested that the documented purchase price be below 1 mil roubles (to avoid paying taxes in Russia). Because the official purchase price of the apt. was well below the market price, I am afraid the IRS would tax the difference between the documented purchase price, and the sale price (which pretty much amounts to 97% of property value).

I was wondering if any of you know how to deal with this. Alternatively, if you know of a good attorney who can offer legal advice here, please let me know.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I pay taxes if selling my house in usa if I am mexican [ 5 Answers ]

Do I pay taxes if selling my house in usa if I am mexican I am mexican and own a house in usa. Wil be a need to pay sale taxes if I sell the property ? Is there an option like putting the house to a grandson name That is american, and then sale the house ?

US taxes on selling apartment in Moscow, Russia, that I owned for 15 years? [ 5 Answers ]

Apartment was given to me by my ex, in exchange of me forfeiting other claims, out of court, more than 15 years ago. Since then I moved to US, and have become U.S citizen. It was not rented - extended family member was using this place. Now it is not needed, and I'm selling it. What should I expect...

401k - minimize taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I have limited knowledge on 401(k) and have ben reading many articles on the net. I need advice on how to withdraw the amount from my 401(k) with minimum tax/penalty. I am 30 years old. I worked in US from 2002 - 2006 and invested in 401k. My company also contributed and this grew to...

Filing taxes after selling a house [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I sold a house in July 2005 after living in the house a little over 3 years. I was curious what type of tax forms I need to use and if I can take into consideration a second mortgage that we had on the house?

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.