Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    casperian Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2005, 11:43 AM
    Hissing shy kittens
    Dear list

Last week my fiancé and I adopted 6 month old sisters. We kept them in a separate room and visited them several times per day. Despite their cowering, hissing and growling we sat/layed on the floor, spoke softly and pet them. Some progress was made and they seem a little more comfortable but still leary of us.

After a week of just one room we opened the door and let them explore on their own terms. They continue to show progress but are still leary of us and will not let us pick them up. We always have to approach them slowly and get past hissing and growling before the cats will relax with petting.

I realize it will take time and we are being patient. In other peoples experiences how much time should it take before they are accepting of us and more affectionate.

I am also concered because they will not play with us. I know they play on their own because I hear them and the toys are moved daily. I am hopeful they will someday play in our presence.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    tiger_3leg Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Jan 16, 2005, 09:15 PM
    Cats are unique - I rescued a 2 year old stray tom cat several years ago. I had him neutered and vaccinated right away and started trying to socialize him once he got home. He would allow me to pet him (because he was too frightened to move), but he would not come out of my closet for about 4 weeks. After about 6-8 MONTHS of several daily pettings and visits, he finally seemed to have relaxed a bit, and he would actually stay downstairs with us for long periods. Now about 5 years later, he is still nervous, even with us, and only likes to socialize at night, when he'll come sit with you and rub your feet. Other than that, he hides all day.
    I've also fostered a litter of 3 4-week-old kittens that were pretty feral. One of them decided within a few hours that people are great, and quickly learned her name, and would purr when you just walked into the room. The second in the group took about a week to trust us, and is now just as outgoing and friendly as the first. The third, though, is still very skittish, and will hide when you walk into the room or just look at him. If you move slowly and quietly, he'll come to you and start purring, but he still needs a lot of work - I've had him for about 10 weeks now.
    So, all cats are different on how long it takes for them to settle in. You're still very early in the game. Your guys are pretty young still, so should only take a few months to really calm down and adjust. It also depends on their history and how much human socialization they've had in the past.
    Hope things go well with your new kitties. Just have patience.
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Jan 18, 2005, 07:14 AM
    Hello,

Try putting a Feliway Comfort Zone plug-in where ever they spend the most time. Each plug-in lasts 4 to 5 weeks and my help significantly reduce their stress levels helping them feel happy and calm.

Your vet may carry this or can certainly order it for you.

Feliway is a phermone solution which mimics the phermones produced naturally in a cat's facial glands. The cats use this to mark their territory and it helps them feel less stressed.

I've seen amazing results and even use it myself.

Hope things continue to get better!

Regards,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kittens due [ 3 Answers ]

My year old cat is due to have her kittens any day now, I was wondering if any one could tell me what signs to look out for

Hissing kittens [ 4 Answers ]

We have just added two twelve week old ragdoll kittens to our family. They are socialized and are fine with everyone except out 9 year old kelpie/cross. She is okay with them but won't look directly at them as they hiss every time she is about. What can we do to help them bond with her.

Hissing! [ 2 Answers ]

One of my cats has been very calm and easy going for the first two years of his life and now, all of a sudden, he has started to hiss at us. It seemed to start as a game he was playing. We would be walking and he would jump in front of us and hiss. Now he has started hissing all the time. When we...

Hissing toilet [ 4 Answers ]

Well, I am sure there is an easy fix for this but before I went and started replacing parts, I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts. I hear a hissing noise coming from my toilet. I am about 99% sure it is coming from my tank area. My thought is it is coming from the float area. Maybe, the seal...

Hissing cat! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I posted the thread on here titled 2 cats, this is an update to that thread. The mother cat is still hissing at her 6 month old female offspring, though it is now more frequent and aggressive, she refuses to let sachi(kitten) near her, she just displays her fangs and hisses really loud or just...

View more questions Search