Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tinman2200 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2012, 09:50 PM
    220v range wiring
    I am moving into a new apartment, that is rather run down, and the landlord doesn't care what I do to fix the place up. The old gas stove is shot, and I've always been partial to electric, glass tops. I can get an incredible deal on one, and would like to cap the gas line, and install the electric. Im a pretty decent jack of all trades, and have added circuits, but I don't have a clue how to add this outlet where one does not exist
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2012, 10:11 PM
    240 volts is nothing to mess with. If you "don't have a clue ", maybe you shouldn't. Basics are a breaker box capable of handling the increased load, appropriate wire and breaker, 4 prong outlet, drilling the walls and floor as appropriate and your time. Make sure the house wiring can take the load, at least 30 amps. If the place is run down, as you say, wiring may not be up to code as it is.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2012, 07:51 PM
    All you do is to get a double breaker for the breaker box at the min. ampacity rating, at least. You could need a 30, 40, or 50 amp breaker depending on the name plate on range. Then you size the wire for the range. The size wire depends on amperage and distance. Normally, I would use 6-3 copper with ground. A 240 volt line is only two 120 volt lines. You will wire the red and black to the breaker and the hot legs (brass screws) on the receptacle, white goes to neutral (silver screws) and ground goes to green. On the pig tail you can get 3 or 4 wire plugs to match the receptacle. Since you are using a 4-wire plug, you will remove a jumper that ties neutral and ground together. Then ground will go to cabinet and white to neutral. It's very easy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proper 220V wall outlet for range/oven [ 4 Answers ]

I moved a 200V outlet from one side of the kitchen to another. I bought a new range/oven. When I plug in the range/oven, the rang elements work properly, but the oven will not turn on or the clock runs. Does it look like I rewire the 220V outlet incorrectly? If I get a voltmeter, what reading I...

220v wiring [ 1 Answers ]

Can you have a stove and dryer on the same 220v circuit?

220v wiring [ 6 Answers ]

I just bought a Phoenix hot tub and I need to know how to I hook it up to 220v.

220v range wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a slide in range with cooktop. I am putting in where old cooktop was. I only have 3 wires, 1 balck, 1 white, 1 ground. The only range outlet I could find was a four prong. I thought black was hot and white was neutral and then of course you have the ground. I am finding out now I am...

220v wiring. [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I am wiring a vacuum pump for a vacuum-form table to a 220v. 3 wires coming of the wall - black and red (I assumed are hot) and white (neutral). I also have a vacuum switch (installed between the pump and the tank) and a main switch (to turn the table on and off). The pump wiring...

View more questions Search