Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2012, 04:54 PM
    Water Pipes Coverage
    The water that comes into your house from the main. Suppose the water line
    Breaks on your property, say in the back yard lawn. Will your homeowners insurance pay for that? Your water line is attached to the house?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2012, 05:18 PM
    Here is one discussion about that issue but I do not know if it correct:
    Homeowners Insurance For Water Main Breaks And Sewer Lines | Balkan Plumbing

My neighbor receives offers all the time from a company that wants to sell him a policy to cover the lines on his property. I don't get the offers and wouldn't buy it anyhow.
    Have you discussed it with your home insurer?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2012, 06:51 PM
    External water lines and sewer lines are not covered even though attached to the house. Wind blows a tree down and it crushes your water and sewer lines, covered. Internal water and sewer lines are covered if it is a sudden and accidental break. If, for example, you have a slow drip that causes damage, probably not covered. Water line breaks and floods the house, covered. Leaking roofs are not typically covered if they are old. Wind blows the shingles off and water damages the interior, covered. Key is sudden and accidental. Big issue coming up for Sandy-was the water damage flood or wind driven? Flood is not covered, except through a separate coverage, wind driven water is. WC SHAVER-acronym for basic covered perils- windstorm; civil commotion; smoke; hail; aircraft; vehicles; explosion; and riot.
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2012, 06:24 AM
    Yes I had a feeling that was the case. I know the water pipes coming from the city
    On your property is your responsibility. Homeowners insurance I guess will not cover it.
    But it is remote possibility a water pipe would break outside in the backyard lawn. Thanks
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2012, 08:08 AM
    I have known few people who have had waterline problems on their property other than freezing pipes and I don't believe that is a problem in your region. That's not to say that an aging line (depending on what type material it is comprised of) couldn't start springing frequent leaks, but insurance would probably just pay to fix the leak, not replace the line. Baltimore and other cities are having frequent problems with water mains (some as large as 36" diameter and larger). Many of the lines that are failing are 100 plus years old.
    One recent failure was in a pipe that had been placed in about 1890.
    In your case, a hit on a line caused by some type of excavation or a large vehicle load over the line are most likely your biggest hazards- since your lines are probably more shallow than in areas where freezing is a concern and lines are placed deeper.
    Similar concerns for the sewer line but with the added risk of roots.
    Keep the roots away, dig test holes and find the lines before digging for shrubs or just about anything else, be careful of what you put in your drains, and keep heavy loads off your yard and your risk is low I believe.
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2012, 08:41 AM
    Sounds Good advice. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Should I take up water and sewage back-up coverage? [ 0 Answers ]

I have a condo unit on the 2nd floor in Orlando. My insurance agent proposed that I buy additional water and sewage back-up coverage, but not flood damage. Which is more likely to occur, bearing in mind that my unit is on the 2nd floor? Also, does the HOA master insurance policy usually cover this?

Is it safe for gas pipes to touch hot water pipes ? [ 4 Answers ]

Is it safe for gas pipes to touch hot water pipes ? New central heating installed has this situation, am slightly worried by this. David.

Water pipes knocking on upper floor, after pipes burst [ 7 Answers ]

Hi - recently, my water pipes froze and burst, flooding my basement. I've had the pipes repaired. Now, when I turn on the hot water in my upstairs (2nd floor) sink, there's a knocking/clunking after I turn the hot water off. Its only the hot water (doesn't do it with cold water). When I...

View more questions Search