Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2012, 09:54 PM
    When a deer runs in front of your car...
    My son narrowly escaped a major accident with his life last night after a deer ran in front of his car on a rural road in a 45 mile an hour zone. His first impulse was to avoid the deer, but he lost control of the car and it is just unfathomable seeing the car that he survived. Since this happened, several people have shared this advice with my son and I - "If you can't slow down or stop, or just go around the animal at a safe rate of speed by changing lanes, don't panic - just hit the deer. If you must go toward something, go toward the softest most yeilding target - a deer is far better to hit than a tree or telephone pole." I want to ask if others have better or additional advice for managing hazards on the road and what they think of this advice.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 24, 2012, 09:58 PM
    Do you have a question about injuries or the deer or your vehicle?
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2012, 10:01 PM
    Sorry Wondergirl - the question posted strangely at first - please see the editted version.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Nov 24, 2012, 10:05 PM
    Well it stands to reason that hitting a deer is way better than hitting a phone pole, tree, or another car.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 24, 2012, 10:06 PM
    My mom had a similar experience in rural NYState. She ended up hitting the deer (it appeared out of nowhere) which ended up on her hood, but there was little or no damage to the car and the dead deer was claimed by some hungry farmers who liked venison. I agree with the advice you were given -- hit the deer and don't end up in the ditch or against a tree or pole.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 25, 2012, 02:10 AM
    A friend of mine lives out in the boonies, and there are a lot of deer where he lives. His neighbors daughter was driving home one night, and like your son, a deer ran in front of her car. They collided.

The accident wouldn't have been fatal, except for one small fact. The deer went through the windshield of the car, and it didn't die. In it's panic to get out of the vehicle, it kicked the daughter to death.

But, that's an isolated incident. I do think that hitting the deer is safer than trying to avoid it, but, it's not a sure thing. Any accident can be fatal, even a minor one, and hitting a deer definitely isn't minor.

I'm glad your son is safe. :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 25, 2012, 02:15 AM
    It's simple physics actually. The path of least resistance theory.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 25, 2012, 02:50 AM
    A deer will do serious damage to a car, I had one totaled by a deer many years ago.

But with that said, you stay on the road, just get some front end and/or windshield damage if the deer flys up.

Also often the deer will jump or bolt at the last min and you even miss them.

But you slow down, try to stop, but don't lose control and just hit the deer, it is much better than hitting a ditch, or tree or sign.

A deer weights less, it is movable and will give when you hit.
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2012, 01:11 PM
    Thanks for your feedback. My son was afraid of the deer landing inside the car as well - he said it was huge. He also said he didn't even have time to react and maybe that's the best lesson from this - the speed limit was 45 and though he's a teenage boy, he knew this was a notorious speed trap so he drove the limit - I question the limit because several people have died on this stretch of road - hilly, wooded, dark. Had he been a mile further down there were no trees but he would have landed in a major river. I'm questioning the speed limit - maybe 35 would make more sense on this stretch so will suggest it to the community.
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2012, 01:13 PM
    And this raises a weird unrelated question - we live in an area with a huge deer population but are in the worst hit portion of the midwest draught. We've noticed that there are fewer deer but the ones we are seeing are just really big this fall. We're wondering if we're imagining this, or if this is a trend in the population?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2012, 01:31 PM
    I tried to research this a bit and the only article I found that would explain possibly large deer in some areas was that the acorn crop was supposed to be plentiful. If you live in a region with a lot of oak trees- maybe? But the effects of the drought on deer would be expected to produce smaller antlers and smaller deer based on what I could find.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2012, 02:02 PM
    One other comment based on my years in highway construction and construction inspection. In the case of interstate highways and many divided highways (not two directional rural roads) there has been a clear roadside area policy in effect for many years. Generally speaking, except where hazards exist near the roadway in which case guard rails or jersey barrier are installed, there should be a 30 foot clear roadside area intended as a recovery area for vehicles which leave the roadway for any reason. These areas are graded with flatter slopes and would always be a safer alternative than hitting a deer. This policy includes the right side of the right shoulder and the left side of the median shoulder in the U.S. Trying to stay on the road is not always the best choice especially on interstate highways.
    On rural roads, it is good to develop a habit of noticing areas that would be a good means of escape in emergencies such as someone driving on the wrong side of the yellow lines. I see that in my area almost every time I leave the house. Cellphones, daydreaming, poor eyesight, other distractions? Don't know- but it is frequent.
    While I am at it and running my mouth, one of the more frequent accidents I have seen in my career and one I read about even more frequently is vehicles stopping (for any reason) and being struck from the rear by a driver that isn't paying attention, and that happens in cities as well as vehicles stopped in backups on interstates. Leave an escape route in front of your vehicle especially on interstates and take advantage of those clear roadside areas if you have to. These are often trucks and other vehicles traveling at 70 mph striking a stopped vehicle because they don't even know there is a backup. Once the backup has built up for 8 or ten cars (behind you) the danger shifts to the last poor slob in the backup. In the case of road construction, these backups often are so long that the signs intended to warn drivers of construction--don't extend that far.
    I'll stop now.
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2012, 07:58 PM
    Great road advice - thank you so much. And yes, in our area there are many, many oak trees. We noticed that too - huge deer, small antlers on the males. That's how my son described the one that ran in front of him. He said it was weird that it was so big because from the rack, it didn't seem it could be old enough to be that large.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2012, 06:00 PM
    I noticed this woman had a very interesting concern on a radio talk show about deer xings.
    Click the link and give it a listen.

WOW! | Facebook

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John Deer L120 front axle [ 8 Answers ]

We purchased a john deere l120 from home depot in February of 2004... it hasn't been THAT bad of a mower but it has had its problems. Every year I take the time to mow 3.4 acres and I do take pride in my yard and in my mower So the first cut of the season I was mowing and I was just about to...

Dead front and single front switchboard are the same [ 2 Answers ]

Dead front and single front switchboard are the same

Snow Blower, runs when cold, then stops and runs slow & erratic [ 0 Answers ]

When frist started, it runs great. After a while using it, it start running rough. The only way I keep it running, is playing with the choke lever, and then it still can't be used. RPM are down, & runs rough. No power, & when I move the throttle down it runs even for a second, then back to rough,...

How to remove the front panel of a maytag washer front loader [ 0 Answers ]

Have a model 2400aww maytag front load washer. How do I remove the front panel or what is the best access to the drain pump?

1995 f150 v8 5.0 can't get front fuel pump in front tank to come on [ 6 Answers ]

1995 f150 v8 5.0, dual tanks- front tank doesn't work, gauge works fine w/ booth tanks, I used a test light to see if the pump was getting power and it was for about 3 seconds after I would turn on the key then I quit, since it got power and the pump never came on I replace the pump, but nothing...

View more questions Search