Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgalbo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2012, 03:44 PM
    Can a female dubai roach procreate alone?
    I had a female dubai roach in a cage all by itself for eight months. I went to clean the cage and discovered she had given birth to several babies. How is it possible that she gave birth with no male.
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Nov 25, 2012, 12:14 PM
    I did not find a specific authoritative reference that stated that the dubia roach is parthenogenetic, however, there is a possibility that dubia roaches, Blaptica dubia, don't need males to reproduce, which is known as parthenogenesis. There are male dubia roaches, and I surmise that dubia roaches are sexual, but in some insect species, if you raise a female by itself, they can do without, which is known as being facultatively parthenogenetic, which means that when forced or at will, the species can breed without males. How cool is that, or not.

Parthenogenesis is an asexual reproductive strategy. A sexual strategy that insects use, that might explain your experience, is that some female insect species store the "gift" (nudge, nudge) from the male for later use in her spermatheca.

(I did find a reptile blog, where someone stated that dubia roaches are parthenogenetic, but I wouldn't consider a blog any more definitive than the non-definitive answer given here. I did find a lot of scientific references to parthenogenesis in cockroaches, but nothing specific.)

It is really hard to explain how parthenogenesis works, but it has to do with cell division - meiosis, mitosis, diploid, haploid, genetics stuff.

Here is an important information about the potential danger of raising exotic animals that could become pests. Keep nature, native:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cock-a-roach [ 1 Answers ]

Some time in the early seventies or late sixties, there was an animated short film which was a black blotch on a movie screen and the voice of an older jewish man saying that it looked like a cockroach. I think the voice over was done by mel brooks but I can't find any reference to this short. It...

Is it a roach ? [ 0 Answers ]

I saw this bug crawling on my livingroom's carpet... Very slowly. This is one of the reasons I was not sure if it is a roach. I've seen roaches before and they are pretty fast alsi it kind of looks different to me... I hate roaches. I need to know if this is one so that I can call an exterminator...

View more questions Search