Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    My-Brain-Is-Full Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Mar 14, 2007, 02:38 AM
    Protectionism and the difference between a supplier and producer
    I've been reading up on the effect of imposing tariffs on domestic and international suppliers. A tariff imposed by the domestic government will cause the price of imported goods to rise, thereby stimulating demand for domestic versions of the good. Domestic supply will therefore rise and imports will fall.
    However, I've become confused by a concluding statement on the effects of imposing tariffs that I read in a textbook, namely:
    "domestic producers gain but at the expense of domestic suppliers."
    I don't understand the difference between a domestic producer and supplier in this context.

... I think it means domestic suppliers as in those who supply to the domestic market (so they could include foreign firms). However, the textbook specifically used the term domestic supplier to refer to home based suppliers beforehand.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2007, 03:50 AM
    I think it's a misprint. The statement doesn't make any sense. Textbooks are often poorly edited, so beware.
    My-Brain-Is-Full Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Mar 15, 2007, 05:02 PM
    Thanks, I was hoping that was the case, although this book has been unusually helpful so far. It makes more sense than Begg's work anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Expensing Supplier Invoices [ 1 Answers ]

We are a distributor of office products. We buy from the wholesaler and sell to the end-user. When we invoice the end user freight charges are entered as a cost of sale and the customer therefore receives free freight. When we expense the supplier invoice, however, we have been expensing...

One Stop Supplier [ 1 Answers ]

I hope someone can help me. I'm planning to start an online store buying, selling, and trading video games, DVDs, and computer games. Do anyone know of just one supplier that may deal with all of the abovementioned items? I'm not looking for closeout items, but mainstream new releases that you...

View more questions Search