Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HOWARDE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2012, 06:29 AM
    Is a chimney liner necessary when replaceing an existing gas boiler with a new one
    Is a chimney liner needed when replaceing an existing gas boiler
    With a new one?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 24, 2012, 09:42 AM
    Is a chimney liner needed when replaceing an existing gas boiler
    with a new one?

Each different brand and model number of boiler might be different. I always suggest following the manufactures install instructions since those have to be followed in order to make the install safe. With that said here are some other situations for your boiler.
    You did not give the brand or model number of the unit you are going to use.
    You did not say if it was a inside or outside chimney.
    You did not say weather it was condensing or non-condensing boiler.
    Chimney height could come into play also.

You are missing a lot of info and without it no one can tell you for sure if you need a liner or not.

My rule has always been to follow the manufacturer instructions with no modifications unless you can get the boiler manufacturer to sign off on the modifications and that is just about impossible due to liability insurance.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 24, 2012, 03:30 PM
    Yeah, need the info. Mentioned by hvac1000 and also would like to know if the new boiler will still use this chimney and if so or not, do you have a water heater that will remain on this chimney? More info. OK?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

With an oil fueled boiler, is a liner necessary for a chimney? [ 0 Answers ]

I'm about to replace a chimney on my old house (75 years). I'm getting conflicting opinions on whether I need to purchase a liner for my chimney (and beyond that, whether a 6 inch liner is sufficiently wide). The chimney connects to my basement boiler, which runs on oil. Please advise. Thanks!

If your chimney is in the center of your house, do you need a chimney liner to vent t [ 2 Answers ]

If your chimney is in the center of your house, do you need a chimney liner to vent the water heater?

Chimney Liner [ 1 Answers ]

I've been told I have to get a chimney liner. Have an 8" opening on burner.. one company said i need a 7" liner, and another said a 6" liner... I'm concerned about safey and health. Please advise what I should do. Grateful.

Replaceing a pool liner? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an above ground 24' pool. The liner goes in a small slit and hooks on I believe. I would really like it if someone can tell me how to install. Not real sure. How do I get the liner tight to the wall. Less wrinkles? When to cut holes for skimmer and water return? Is the walls breaking...

Is a chimney liner necessary? [ 5 Answers ]

We will be installing a new mid-efficiency furnace and air-conditioner. We are told that we will need a chimney liner. The old furnace is still using the chimney, but the new furnace will have a vent going out to the side of the house and the only appliance that will still utilize the old chimney...

View more questions Search