Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 27, 2012, 11:49 AM
    I agree Tom, but we do know they have more people who don't participate or can't, in there economy, than they have those who benefit from it. Such imbalance is not a winning recipe for any society on earth.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2012, 02:19 PM
    Tom I would say the number of unoccupied dwellings in the US is about the same as China, big difference though, they can fill theirs with a stroke of the pen. Their unoccupied dwellings are in redeveloped towns, in places where they want people to be, planning for them to be, whereas your are the result of mere profiteering
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2012, 02:44 PM
    We have vacancies because of an economic downturn. While this is happening we don't have builders employed building ghost cities to keep construction workers employed . But it 's OK if you think white elephant projects are good policy.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 27, 2012, 02:52 PM
    We don't build bridges, roads, and schools to keep them employed here either so what's the difference?

The have nots don't make economic downturns or throw people out of their homes either.
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2012, 03:07 PM
    Yeah maybe we should have a couple more' Big Digs '.That should really get us out of the hole. Got a hint for you... we have Dem pols here in NY arguing over a decade about what a replacement for the Tappan-Zee Bridge should look like . It took over a decade to begin to see some progress at the ground zero site. Do you really think someone decides to build a road and hands a worker a shovel ? Not in this environment where career pols and union bosses enrich themselves in the planning phase .
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2012, 03:17 PM
    What happened to all those shovel ready projects, I expect most of them were shovelling bull?

You apparently have a problem with nation building projects, Tom, is that because you think your nation is built, already developed and doesn't need more building? Is your objection that someone will enrich themselves or that the wrong people will enrich themselves? I expect you have no problem with CEO's enriching themselves and keeping their gains with lower taxes. Why don't you have some white elephant projects, I've no doubt if we cast around we could find a few already under construction
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2012, 07:33 PM
    Most times when the government is involved it's a white elephant. If CEOs build and enriches themselves it doesn't cost me a penny.
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2012, 07:41 PM
    That is a very incorrect idea, When CEO's take large salaries they reduce the available earnings available to stockholders, in fact some "earn" their large salaries when there is no apparent benefit to stockholders and appreciable dimunition of stockholder value. I can only assume you have no investments in stocks
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2012, 07:50 PM
    Hello again, tom:

most times when the government is involved it's a white elephant. If CEOs build and enriches themselves it doesn't cost me a penny.
    Yeah, that gubment. It cain't build squat. They DIDN'T build the interstate.. They DIDN'T build our bridges and roads. They DIDN'T build Hoover Dam. They DIDN'T build our airports..

And they should never build anything again. They shouldn't even REPAIR our broken down bridges, or fix our roads, or an airport or two.

Maybe some CEO will do it..

Excon
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2012, 08:57 PM
    Ex that's gubment, backwoods style, the "if it ain't broke don't fix it " mindset. That thinking leaves nothing for the next generation and never invents anything for it's self. Pappy's muzzleloader is good enough to put dinner on the table and they never learned anythung else. You don't need radds and bridges when all you do is sit on your blessed assurance
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2012, 06:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, tom:

Yeah, that gubment. It cain't build squat. They DIDN'T build the interstate.. They DIDN'T build our bridges and roads. They DIDN'T build Hoover Dam. They DIDN'T build our airports..

And they should never build anything again. They shouldn't even REPAIR our broken down bridges, or fix our roads, or an airport or two.

Maybe some CEO will do it..

excon
    Most of them were inefficient ,over-priced boondoggles . Don't use the Hoover Dam as an example . You know very well that situation with the unions allowing public work corps will never happen again. As for the Interstate... Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution gives Congress the power to fund roads ;and there was a national security component to it's logic. It constitutes about 2 % of the road system in the country . Are you saying it's the Federal Government's responsibility to fund and build all our roads ?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2012, 01:20 PM
    Are you saying it's the Federal Government's responsibility to fund and build all our roads ?
    I give up, who's responsibility is it?
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2012, 02:36 PM
    Most roads are local jurisdicition ;some town ,some County ,some State ,many are private owned .Most major routes are state owned and managed ;even many sections of the Interstate system are State owned and managed . I can say that the major states in the North East collect tolls on the Interstate system roads that are designated state Thruways . There is a Federal Excise tax on gasoline that is supposed to pay for road infrastructure maintenance. Theoretically if that money is being used for it's intended purpose there is plenty of money for maintenance. Tolls on highways and bridges are also supposed to be used for that purpose .
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2012, 02:51 PM
    So some level of government is involved for the vast majority of the roadwork in the country. Right?
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2012, 02:56 PM
    Obviously
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2012, 05:58 PM
    To repeat myself... I asked " Are you saying it's the Federal Government's responsibility to fund and build all our roads ? " I neve implied that there was no level of government involved .
    I also said that most construction projects run by the government are boondoggles and I stand by that too.The higher the level of government the more waste and inefficient .
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2012, 06:47 PM
    So you are saying all this government largesse benefits nobody, so you have some potemkin roads over there, roads to nowhere, or at least nowhere anyone would want to go. Tom I have a curious question? Who built the Chigago hump. Was that a capitalist exercise in stupidity or a boondoggle
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 28, 2012, 07:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    who built the Chigago hump. was that a capitalist exercise in stupidity or a boondoggle
    What's that? I live there.
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2012, 09:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    What's that? I live there.
    Apparently there is a rail freight facility there through which most of the rail frieght in the US must pass, it consists of a large marshalling yard and sorting facility with an artificial hill at its centre. The rail system is so designed that all freight must pass through Chigago
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 28, 2012, 09:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    apparently there is a rail freight facility there through which most of the rail frieght in the US must pass, it consists of a large marshalling yard and sorting facility with an artificial hill at its centre. The rail system is so designed that all freight must pass throught Chigago
    I've lived here since 1963 (and my husband was born here). We've never heard/seen reference to that as the "Hump." It has always been called "The Clearing Yard," and is just south of Midway Airport, our second largest airport. My husband said one probably has to really be into trains to be calling it "the hump."

Have you ever heard of the Chicago Loop?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medication getting in the way? [ 8 Answers ]

I've been taking some anxiety medication and its been really hard for me to reach my peak in bed. Its getting very frustrating to my boyfriend & myself. Usually I enjoy sex more than my boyfriend, and am practically begging for it.. but lately I think I'm just having sex out of habit, I find my...

Medication [ 1 Answers ]

Identify meds which demand physiological measurements

Medication [ 0 Answers ]

Can my obgyn perscribe adderall? I was dignosed as a child but got off it for pregnancy and was wondering if he could treat me and how would I go about talking with him about it.

Socialized medicine! Calling all Canadians and Western Europeans [ 65 Answers ]

Hello: Is it bad, or is it good? excon

Gun control and socialized medicine in Europe [ 1 Answers ]

Are any countries in Europe that do not have either gun control laws or socialized medicine? I know they're very "europe-y" things to do, but I don't know if the EU requires them, or if a bunch of countries just decided to institute them. (I know the exact polices vary a bit, so I'm guessing it's...

View more questions Search