Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Acetaminophen Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2012, 01:19 AM
    Girlfriend taking a break
    My girlfriend and I have been dating for 3 1/2 years now. I am 19 and she is 20 and I am the only guy she has ever been with. For some time now she has worked 1 day a week at the local bar and there is a guy a few years older in her that would often come into the bar with some friends. She befriended the guy and I conveyed that I thought his actions weren't simply being friendly I never pursued the issue any further. She is allowed to have male friends just as I should be allowed to have female friends. Last week she told me that she wasn't sure how she felt about this guy, as in when she talks to him she experiences a new feeling and she isn't sure how to react to this. I was understanding being that I am the only boyfriend she has ever had and I can understand her having this new feeling. She said she wanted to take a break because so that she can better come to grips with this new feeling she is experiencing. She said that she loves me and she has no problems with our relationship but she just doesn't want to ignore this feeling and have it come back to create more problems later.

Well its been over a week and towards the beginning we texted but did not call or come into physical contact. We've gone about 4 days without really any contact and today was the first time we saw each other, and spoke in person for just shortly. Later that night we were texting and we worked out that she is still texting the guy. I wondered why and she said so that she can learn what this feeling is. I am slightly worried that we try to minimize contact during this break but she continues to talk to the other guy during this break. I am at a loss of what to do... I give her all the space I can and I feel that this isn't working. I know that these last 10 days or so haven't been a lot in some peoples eyes but I don't know how long I should let this sort of break continue on? What should I do? What should I say? What should I think about all this?
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Nov 24, 2012, 08:16 AM
    This is pretty normal. Perhaps she has grown out of you. You have been her only boyfriend for 3 years, teenage years and she wants to experience being single and perhaps explore her attraction to someone else, an older guy.
    I think you guys should take a permanent break. No point in hanging around waiting for her to make up her mind. This may be an awakening for you as well.

Nov 24, 2012, 11:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Homegirl 50 View Post
    This is pretty normal. Perhaps she has grown out of you. You have been her only boyfriend for 3 years, teenage years and she wants to experience being single and perhaps explore her attraction to someone else, an older guy.
    I think you guys should take a permanent break. No point in hanging around waiting for her to make up her mind. This may be an awakening for you as well.
    How can I edit this thread? I don't see an edit option anywhere on the page.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 24, 2012, 11:56 AM
    You can't edit. I can, and will help, depending. I am not allowed to change much, though.

Nov 24, 2012, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You can't edit. I can, and will help, depending. I am not allowed to change much, though.
    I don't know if you will be able to help. I don't want this here because I have changed my mind about wanting this here. I think I have shared enough information that people I know may be able to identify me by this. I really don't want to have this thread here but I know I cannot delete it. If possible I would very much like to have this thread with all the personal details taken out and have it changed to something people can just give general advice to people that are taking a break after a several year relationship.

I'm upset that this website does not give you any ability to remove or edit your posts and I feel like I have posted enough here that it is an invasion of my privacy.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 24, 2012, 12:06 PM
    I have never been a member of a Q&A site that allows me to edit indefinitely. The rule is never post personal stuff that you may regret posting. Same with email. You can't take it back.

Your post sounds like a thousand others that have been posted here. Only your ages and her workplace might be giveaways to your identity. Threads aren't removed unless they go against the rules. I can check with an admin to see if the bar references can be edited out.

Nov 24, 2012, 12:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I have never been a member of a Q&A site that allows me to edit indefinitely. The rule is never post personal stuff that you may regret posting. Same with email. You can't take it back.

Your post sounds like a thousand others that have been posted here. Only your ages and her workplace might be giveaways to your identity. Threads aren't removed unless they go against the rules. I can check with an admin to see if the bar references can be edited out.
    I would like the ages and bar references removed if you could.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 24, 2012, 12:49 PM
    Admin has informed me there can be no editing or removal of information. Those details are important to the story.

Stop posting and this thread will disappear into the archives. Someone would have to Google with terrific keywords to resurrect it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Me and girlfriend of 2 years taking a break. Little different. [ 0 Answers ]

Hey all, I've been looking at many of the posts here trying to find some advice (great advice by the way, all) on my situation here. We are both 2nd year college students at the same school. 2.5 weeks ago we were talking on the phone one night and I could sense something has been making her seem...

Girlfriend taking a break. To talk or not to talk [ 52 Answers ]

My girlfriend of over a year has decided to take a break. All of a sudden, something clicked in her head and she feels that we're too young to have such a serious relationship. She doesn't want to miss out on all the experiences life has to offer. Mind you, she was always the one who talked about...

Girlfriend taking a break - she's brutally honest about everything [ 21 Answers ]

I've been with my girlfriend for 2 years now and she now decides that she doesn't know if she's ready for a relationship. So she wants time. I'm not okay with breaks but I gave it a try. I decide its best not to talk to her because this is the best chance of us working it out. Her ex boyfriend...

Girlfriend of year and half wants a break/break up [ 14 Answers ]

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting hopefully you guys can help me out here. I have been with the same girl for on off about 3 years now. The most recent time we have been going out has been a year and a half and now all of a sudden she wants a break/breakup. I guess I kind of saw...

Taking a break [ 1 Answers ]

I am 5 and a half months pregnant and I wrote earlier about how my boyfriend and I constantly fight and we haven't seen each other much lately like 1 time in the past month and now he is telling me that we need sometime apart from being boyfriend and girlfriend. I don't think that will help. I...

View more questions Search