Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dllowry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2012, 08:58 PM
    Adding a bathroom to a house with a slab foundation
    We built our home on a slab. We want to add a walk-in closet where our bathroom is at now and build a bathroom with a whirlpool or the other type of tub for my husband. He has polio and needs water therapy twice a week for his condition. Our problem is simple: our pipes are in the clement. How do we add a new bathroom to our home without using the existing line? Your advice would be appreciated.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2012, 09:26 PM
    If he can still step up(even a few inches) there are walk-in tubs,which have watertight doors.. allowing the user to be above the floor,unlike a standard tub,and on a seat which would be like you're sitting at a table.

They are advertised in many big box stores as well as on TV.

I'm sorry,I need a different description of what it is you are looking to do, convert the bath into a closet? Or make a bathroom WITH a closet also?

Thank you for understanding my request.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2012, 09:33 PM
    Much easier to try and retro fit to the existing plumbing. Otherwise, you will need extensive plumbing changed to floors and vents. You will need to cut out the concrete and walls to make the changes.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 24, 2012, 10:28 AM
    We want to add a walk-in closet where our bathroom is at now and build a bathroom with a whirlpool or the other type of tub for my husband.
    You want tom rip up t56he cement and tear out the bathroom, add a closet and install a new bathroom group from scratch? Just how many thousands of dollars have you set aside for this project? Because you're looking at a huge expense. A much better way, (and cheaper) would be to follow Brians advice and work with what you've got. Good luck, bRTom
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 24, 2012, 10:44 AM
    Attach a drawing of the floor plan, if you wish.
    Surely there is a way to add the large tub next to the existing bathroom and as close to the drain as possible, for the least amount of concrete removal?
    Also, as suggested by KBC, he might not be able to get out of a typical whirlpool tub (even if he can get in), and should look into the walk in tub, which is the same footprint as a regular 5' tub.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 24, 2012, 10:57 AM
    Here's a Walk in Whirlpool Tub, see image, Check it out at, Accessible Bathrooms | Walk In Bathtub | Shower Seats | The Home Depot
    Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Suspect drainage leak from bathroom slab foundation. [ 2 Answers ]

I live on the Gulf Coast in a home that in 30 years old and has a slab foundation. The carpet in my hall way in front of the hall bath is wet and smells faintly like the cleaner my daughter just used in the tub. We rarely use that bathroom. The tile in the bathroom is fine, but once you step on the...

Does My Slab House Have Foundation Issues? What To Do? Who To Call? [ 11 Answers ]

I'm not sure if I am giving you TMI, or if these issues are related or not. I want to thank you in advance in taking the time to read this novel ;o). I'll try my best to describe my concerns, but I am not too familiar with the lingo so, please be patient. We have a slab house that is a little...

Adding a shower to half bath on main floor (slab foundation) [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting quotes to convert our attached 2 car garage to a living area for my recently widowed mother; this would give her a bedroom/sitting room and storage - the attached wall follows down my interior hallway and I've asked the home improvement guy to quote me a door at the end of hall to new...

Adding bathroom on slab foundation [ 1 Answers ]

I want to add a 1/2 bathroom in my home which is on a slab foundation. The new bathroom would share a common wall with the original bathroom. The toilet and sink would be back to back with the original bathroom toilet and sink. What is the best way to accomplish this with the least amount of tear...

Adding Shower to bathroom on a slab [ 2 Answers ]

We are looking at purchasing an older house and wish to add a stall corner shower to the existing bathroom along an exterior wall Is it it possible to pour an additional slab where we would like the shower stall to be, to allow for the drain, then run the drain through the exterior wall to tie...

View more questions Search