Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 22, 2012, 07:06 AM
    Dodge Magnum vs Chevy Cobalt
    Both are 2006.

My daughter owns the Dodge Magnum with approx 139,000 miles and has the opportunity to trade even with a Chevy Cobalt with approx 90,000. The Cobalt has had 5 owners and was involved in a minor fender bender in July of this year with damages not exceeding $500, according to the CarFax.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on whether this would be a good even trade for her.

Thanks!
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Nov 22, 2012, 07:30 AM
    I sell used cars so let me tell you how I would look at this...

She already has the Magnum and knows what's wrong with it. The Cobalt has had 5 owners in 6 years. If there have been so many owners, there is usually a reason for it such as problems with the car that someone doesn't want to deal with so they sell it off and make it someone else's problem.

CarFax and AutoCheck are not 100%... either one is only as good as the people reporting what has been done to the car. Not all shops or agencies report to CarFax so despite the ads, they are not the final word on a cars history.

Last, you haven't said what exact models or engines the 2 cars are and have. I looked up retail on both using base model specs and, even with the lower mileage, the Cobalt comes out being worth $700 less than the Magnum... not even taking into consideration that it had been in an accident.

Obviously, it's your choice but I would think about this long and hard. Just something to me doesn't seem to be right. Maybe you could take the Cobalt to a trusted shop and have it looked over.

Of course, I have said all of this without seeing either car and obviously I am not aware of the condition or problems of either one but with that said, I wouldn't take the trade.
    Expert

Nov 22, 2012, 07:35 AM
    What about mechanical?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2012, 07:58 AM
    I'd keep what you have and know. With good preventive maintenance, the Magnum will go 300,000 miles.
    Entomology Expert

Nov 22, 2012, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    What about mechanical?
    Not sure if I understand what you're asking.
    Entomology Expert

Nov 22, 2012, 08:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    I'd keep what you have and know. With good preventive maintenance, the Magnum will go 300,000 miles.
    Really, that is the best advice.
    Expert

Nov 22, 2012, 08:22 AM
    I'm trying to talk her out of the trade.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2012, 08:30 AM
    I am not an automobile expert but I have studied car repair histories and recommendations put out by Consumer Reports for a long time now. First, I agree with odinn's logic in that you have some known factors with the Dodge vs little info on the Cobalt but the info you do have on the Cobalt leans to the negative with that many owners that quickly.
    The Magnum is not listed in the current CR car issue, but the 2006 Cobalt is and it still has a below average used car rating (see below). Both the Cobalt and the magnum were listed in the 2009 car issue. The 2006 Magnum (approx 3 yrs old at that time) had an "average" rating for used cars while the Cobalt had a "below average" rating at that time.
    If the Magnum has had proper maintenance (especially oil and filter changes) I would stick with it as compared to the unknowns with the Cobalt. And I think I would feel the same way even if I knew I had to put some money into repairs on the Magnum.
    Expert

Nov 23, 2012, 07:29 AM
    Thank you all for your help. I had my daughter read these responses yesterday morning be fore she went to test drive the car. She still wasn't convinced.

She got to the car and her and my husband went to test drive it. According to her it "shaked, rattled, and rolled" out of the driveway. The engine pinged and clunked.

She decided to stick with her Magnum that has only a few cosmetic issues.

Thanks again for all your help!
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2012, 08:11 AM
    Nothing wrong with her decision making process at all. She looks at the facts and makes her own evaluations.
    Nice to have follow up like this. It would help us all if folks would provide feedback on how things turned out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dodge Magnum [ 0 Answers ]

My 2007 Dodge Magnum won't shift gears can someone please help.

Chevy 06 cobalt key stuck in ignition [ 0 Answers ]

So last night, my key wouldn't come out of the ignition. The key rotates just past the ACC line, but not all the way to off. After about 30 minutes of turning the car on and off and jiggling the key around it came out. This morning I drove to work, and can't get the key out. Thankfully the...

06 chevy cobalt stuck key [ 2 Answers ]

Key won't come out the ignition

Chevy cobalt [ 1 Answers ]

What causes the check charge system display to come on in chevy cobalt

2006 Chevy Cobalt Key Stuck [ 2 Answers ]

I have a chevy cobalt 2006 and the key keeps getting stuck in the ignition,I think the problem is the gear shift pin. My question is it covered under warranty? The three year warranty runs out in February next year and it has done 80k kms.

View more questions Search