Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GoIllini Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2012, 10:33 AM
    Will court backdate child support no order
    Non Custodial and I had child support through the State of Illinois. Teenage daughter thought she wanted to go to his school district (10 minutes from my house.. just in another district). So, we stopped child support (through the state) and had a "joint custody" and "chid support" agreement signed and notarized. This lasted 2 weeks, our child was depressed, stressed, etc. Even took her to the Dr offerred to write a note suggesting she go back to old school district because it was so bad. It was horrible. I put my foot down and said she was coming back to live with me (which she was at my house every night because she didn't want to sty with father anyway). Father very mad at this. Our child support was to be he pay for all at his house I pay for at my house and extras (clothes, fees, dr, etc) all be split. He paid one time (had a fit about it.. thought was too much) then quit.

My question is: I have an appointment with attorney in December. But, do you think we can backdate any child support? (We both went back on agreement/ I chose for her to come back to my school district while he chose not to pay). I have kept a record of all her "extras". Also, since I have to hire attorney... is there anyway to order we split costs if he goes pro se?

Some background- the reason for the move- in my opinion, father has "brainwashed" child into thinking that this school was her only option to play college sports. I even took her to a third party coach to talk to about options... this coach confirmed that division 1 she would need to change schools. Daughter just wants to play ball/ div 1, 2, 3 she really doesn't care. After her move back, father did not speak with daughter for 2 months because he was mad. He has only ever attended her sports events (never gymnastics, ballet, band, ffa, fccla, etc).

Nov 21, 2012, 10:44 AM
    Also, I have NEVER asked for additional $. Last child support was $320 per month. My husband has always (last 10 years) provided health insurance for child and we have paid co pays and deductibles. I have always tried to be fair. I have never not let father see child.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 21, 2012, 11:51 AM
    So you had a child support order, voluntarily agreed to a reduced amount (with no corresponding court order), and now want to reinstate the former order? Chances are you are entitled to enforce the earlier order with modifications to reflect the changed custody agreement for the period when it was in effect.

Nov 21, 2012, 01:19 PM
    I signed off to discontinue child support with the state courts. So, I wonder if they might backdate to when he stopped paying.

Nov 30, 2012, 07:27 AM
    Open Child Support/ Backdate?
    For numerous reasons, we closed our child support case and signed an agreement (not with the courts) for joint custody and joint/ share support. This lasted 2 weeks- he paid one time. Daughter with me 90% of time and he pays $0. I am going to an attorney in a few weeks. Do you think that I will be able to go back to when he stopped paying or when we file? Illinois

Nov 30, 2012, 11:22 AM
    I was trying to be fair but an disagreement caused non custodial to flip and just stop paying (and for awhile didn't even see his daughter). I wish people would understand that all of us custodial parents are not bad!

Feb 22, 2013, 11:42 AM
    Illinois child support/ Health Insurance
    Non custodial pays for HIS health insurance. I pay for our daughter's insurance. So, when calculating child support- is he able to subtract the health insurance he pays for (for himself)?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2013, 12:04 PM
    How is this addressed in the Support Order?

His health insurance premium does not benefit the child; therefore, it is not child support.

Feb 22, 2013, 12:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    How is this addressed in the Support Order?

His health insurance premium does not benefit the child; therefore, it is not child support.
    This is all being addressed currently. Attorney stated we would subtract health insurance premiums... but I believe attorney was under the impression that non custodial was paying health insurance for our child.. . which is not correct. The health insurance premiums are only for the non custodial individual health ins.
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2013, 12:19 PM
    In my eyes your husband could then justify buying himself new shoes and claiming them - the child would not benefit and the shoes are not a tax deduction.

Interesting -

Feb 22, 2013, 12:21 PM
    I have contacted my attorney to explain this situation. I agree... HIS health insurance premium should not have an impact on child support. Only if he is paying/ or helping to pay for our child's health insurance.
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2013, 12:34 PM
    I agree -
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 03:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GoIllini View Post
    I have contacted my attorney to explain this situation. I agree...HIS health insurance premium should not have an impact on child support. Only if he is paying/ or helping to pay for our child's health insurance.
    Sorry but I believe this is wrong. What your going to need to do is go off his tax return and get the totals from there. Insurance (health) is calculated at pre tax dollars. So it is not included as income. It is a zero sum gain. You may not perceive it as benefiting the child. But having the non custodial parent in the child's life is a benefit to the child. So making sure they stay alive and healthy by buying health insurance would not be outside the courts wishs.
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2013, 08:59 AM
    Califdad - I completely misunderstood the question. I wasn't looking at the factor in expenses and income when child support is calculated. I was thinking along the lines of crediting HIS health insurance premiums against the total support which is ordered.

I was thinking he's ordered to pay $X and part of that is $Z representing HIS health insurance premiums and so he actually owes $X minus $Z = $Y.
    Expert

Feb 23, 2013, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    ... What your going to need to do is go off of his tax return and get the totals from there. Insurance (health) is calculated at pre tax dollars. So it is not included as income. It is a zero sum gain. ...
    Incorrect.

Health insurance is not tax deductible. A portion of medical expenses (including medical insurance) may be if the taxpayer itemizes.

Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    ... It is a zero sum gain. You may not percieve it as benefiting the child. But having the non custodial parent in the childs life is a benefit to the child. So making sure they stay alive and healthy by buying health insurance would not be outside the courts wishs.
    Also incorrect. Expenses necessary to maintain the child support obligor are not deductable for the purpose of calculating child support. Taking JudyKay Tee's example, the father can't go to work barefoot. He needs to buy shoes to make a living. But that doesn't mean shoes are deductable from income for the purpose of figuring child support owed. Good grief!
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2013, 11:04 AM
    I'm not sure if OP is asking if the amount the father pays for his health insurance is a credit toward child support OR a tax deduction -
    Expert

Feb 23, 2013, 11:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I'm not sure if OP is asking if the amount the father pays for his health insurance is a credit toward child support OR a tax deduction -
    OP wrote "... when calculating child support- is he able to subtract the health insurance he pays for (for himself)? " I assumed OP was asking if the father could subtract it from his income before plugging that figure into a formula resulting in the CS he must pay (analogous to a tax deduction rather than a tax credit). I don't think the father is entitled to claim either.

Gross taxable income, from one's tax return, can in many places be used as a starting figure in calculating CS. The idea is that family courts don't want to re-invent the wheel when it comes to figuring out how much the parties make.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 23, 2013, 01:08 PM
    Lets get this straight. The state and we don't know what state this is, may base support on gross pay or taxable income. If health insurance premiums (and some premiums are pre-tax) not included in taxable income then they could affect the amount of support ordered.

On the other hand, once an award is made, the amount of premiums paid would not be deducted from the support award.
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2013, 01:32 PM
    Hi Scott - Illinois.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 23, 2013, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Incorrect.

Health insurance is not tax deductible. A portion of medical expenses (including medical insurance) may be if the taxpayer itemizes.

Also incorrect. Expenses necessary to maintain the child support obligor are not deductable for the purpose of calculating child support. Taking JudyKay Tee's example, the father can't go to work barefoot. He needs to buy shoes to make a living. But that doesn't mean shoes are deductable from income for the purpose of figuring child support owed. Good grief!
    Maybe your misunderstanding things.

Read this and then see how it applies to pretex dollars.

What does it mean when you have pre-tax dollar health insurance premiums deducted from your pay? - eXtension

http://wayne.edu/hr/tcw/health-welfa...ax-medical.php

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get child support with no court order [ 1 Answers ]

The father of my child and I split up in 1998, I never filled for child support, but in Sep of 2002 the father filed to pay me child support, he has been paying since 2002, but can I go back and make him pay from 1998-2002 with no court order?

Child support before the court order [ 1 Answers ]

My husband left us and I didn't file for divorce or child support for over 10yrs. Once I did child support was court ordered. Can I file for the 10yrs before the court order was placed?

I have a temporary court order for child support... [ 4 Answers ]

I have a temporary court order for child support and am currently still married, waiting for my husband to finalize the settlement agreement that I presented to him over 3 years ago. Needless to say I have exhausted my resourses battling him for a divorce. My husband, our child's father, has...

Can I sue for back child support if there is no court order? [ 9 Answers ]

The father fled the country after I was pregnant 24 yrs ago , he is now back in U.S. a court order was never granted because he fled the country and I was already married. Can I sue him now that he is back in the US.. he denies being the father of course,

Court Child Support Order [ 3 Answers ]

If a child support order that was filed with the Clerk of the Court was never signed by a judicial officer, is it a valid order or legally deficient?

View more questions Search