Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrisE004 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2007, 07:59 PM
    Accident on Private Property
    I was involved in a car accident when I was visiting another persons house. Someone backed out of the garage and hit my car that was parked in the drive. I was on there property so they are telllin me its my fault. We didn't contact the police because I thought we were all friends and we could settle it ourselves. I was wrong? Because I was on the person's property who hit my car does that make it my fault?:mad:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 13, 2007, 08:21 PM
    You car was parked and someone else drove their car and hit your parked car.

It is their fault of course, if you were just parked. There is no excuse for hitting a parked car.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2007, 09:35 PM
    It is definitely their fault. The police probably didn't need to be called because I imagine there wasn't much damage, (and I don't know the rules where you live) but if you have to make an insurance claim then you should do so immediately. The insurance companies will work out who's fault it is... and I am sure it is theirs. (My dad was an insurance investigator, so trust me on this.)

Didi
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2007, 05:18 AM
    Hello chris:

Did you know that it's perfectly legal to drive on private property WITHOUT a drivers license? It is. Traffic laws are only enforced on PUBLIC property.

Therefore, it doesn't matter that you didn't call the cops because they couldn't have done anything anyway. And, as long as you had permission to park your car on private property, they had a duty to look out for it. They didn't. They're at fault. Report it to your insurance and let them take care of it.

excon
    kdudul Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2011, 10:17 AM
    I was just looking into this same accident details if youa re in Ontario becareful. On privat property your insure considers it 50/50 which menas you both will be put at a partial fault I was looking at a link about someone who fought this due major increase of their insurance do not contact a lawyer contact an Ombudsman they will help you with the rules . There are rules to this 50/50 and most adjuster don't know them all.
    Check this out http://www.insurancehotline.com/newsletter/archive/romanov36
    Good Luck
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 20, 2011, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisE004 View Post
    I was involved in a car accident when i was visiting another persons house. ...
    You had that person's permission to be there, right?

... Someone backed out of the garage and hit my car that was parked in the drive. I was on there property so they are telllin me its my fault. ...
    "Someone" would be a person who resides in that place? Who are "they"?

... We didnt contact the police because I thought we were all friends and we could settle it our selves. I was wrong? ...
    The law often requires that police be called if there is an automobile accident on public property. This is not only to give them an opportunity to ticket somebody, but
    • to make sure that there is a disinterested report done by someone who knows how to gather the necessary information, and
    • to make sure that information is exchanged.
    Since it was on private property, that probably wouldn't apply, but it's still a good idea to call the police when there is an accident.

... Because i was on the person's property who hit my car does that make it my fault? ...
    As others have said, no.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2011, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kdudul View Post
    I was just looking into this same accident details if youa re in Ontario becareful. On privat property your insure considers it 50/50 which menas you both will be put at a partial fault I was looking at a link about someone who fought this due major increase of thier insurance do not contact a lawyer contact an Ombudsman they will help you with the rules . There are rules to this 50/50 and most adjuster dont know them all.
    check this out Romanov Report 36 - Apr 4, 2006
    Good Luck

What? You are NOT correct. I actually work in Ontario on occasion and there is no "rule" about partial fault.

You're partially right - you are apparently the only person who knows this.

That "blurb" is from 2006 and that is NOT an independent site.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Private [ 1 Answers ]

Can an anonymous e'amil be traced back to the sender if you use hotmail or Yahoo or some place like that?

Car accident on private property [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I was involved in a car accident. It was 9 PM, dark. I was backing of my driveway and hit a car that was parked on the street in my subdivision. The police came and determine that is my fault. The officer suggested that we can just exchange insurance information and there is no need of...

Property taxes on inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

When daughter inherits home from parent and moves into the home, is there an adjustment to the property tax base in California? Currently taxes are extremely low but house has increased in value since purchase 40 years ago. House is held by trust.

Damage to city property due to car accident [ 1 Answers ]

In December of 2003, while driving, I got into a car accident. My back tires hit a patch of ice, and I swerved into the oncoming traffic, so I reacted quickly and wound up jumping a curb, sliding across a fence, and then the car stopped. The fence (chain link) had some minor damage, and my car was...

Property taxes/lien on property [ 2 Answers ]

We have been taking care of the rental properties across the street from us for many years as the landlord lives in Arkansas. We have never been paid for these services. We repair and maintain these properties, and the last tenants we even collected the rent and deposited into the landlord’s...

View more questions Search