Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lwilliamson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2012, 02:06 PM
    Furnace Blows Cols Air
    First let me give you some history. We have an American Standard 90 two stage propane furnace that is just 4 yrs old. We have been fighting this issue for two years and it has gotten worse this year. We have had the dealer we bought the furnace from out to address the issue multiple times and still nothing resolved. The dealer has
    1. Replaced the mother board
    2. Checked fuel pressure
    3. Cleaned thermo coupler
    4. We changed filter monthly (give or take a week or two)
    5. Checked the intake plumbing for blockage
    6. Checked the exhaust plumbing for blockage
    7. changed intake pipe to a 90 on top of furnace and disconnected the external plumbing
    8. Changed the heat exchanger
    9. tried three different thermostats
    10. verified wiring from furnace to thermostat was good
    11. Verified amperage to furnace from breaker panel was correct
    Here is what is going on….and it is not ALL the time.
    The furnace will blow cold air. We notice this about everyday and when it starts we notice that the thermostat is about 1 degree below the set temp. The error code on the furnace is 21 green flashes and 1 red flash repeating. We have also gotten error 2 green 1 red/green and red then green.
    We have reset and saw the furnace start up. It will call for the flame then fire up then run 2 – 10 seconds then flame out .Its almost like it thinks it has a live flame and initiates the blower and then blows cold air until we shut unit down or blower times out (assume it times out when were not home) . We have had it blow cold for over 20 minutes.
    Our furnace guy has been great but he like us is frustrated because we can not get it fixed. I am told it is still under warranty but that’s only for parts and a different furnace is out of the question. I am at my wits end as to what to do here. The next closest dealer is over 40 miles away so I really have no other warranty options to use. If anyone has any ideas I may present to the dealer please let us know.

The thermostat fan is set on auto and heat only. It is wired with red – white - green
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 19, 2012, 10:35 PM
    First let me give you some history. We have an American Standard 90 two stage propane furnace that is just 4 yrs old. We have been fighting this issue for two years and it has gotten worse this year. We have had the dealer we bought the furnace from out to address the issue multiple times and still nothing resolved. The dealer has
    1. Replaced the mother board
    2. Checked fuel pressure
    3. Cleaned thermo coupler
    4. We changed filter monthly (give or take a week or two)
    5. Checked the intake plumbing for blockage
    6. Checked the exhaust plumbing for blockage
    7. changed intake pipe to a 90 on top of furnace and disconnected the external plumbing
    8. Changed the heat exchanger
    9. tried three different thermostats
    10. verified wiring from furnace to thermostat was good
    11. Verified amperage to furnace from breaker panel was correct
    Here is what is going on….and it is not ALL the time.
    The furnace will blow cold air. We notice this about everyday and when it starts we notice that the thermostat is about 1 degree below the set temp. The error code on the furnace is 21 green flashes and 1 red flash repeating. We have also gotten error 2 green 1 red/green and red then green.
    We have reset and saw the furnace start up. It will call for the flame then fire up then run 2 – 10 seconds then flame out .Its almost like it thinks it has a live flame and initiates the blower and then blows cold air until we shut unit down or blower times out (assume it times out when were not home) . we have had it blow cold for over 20 minutes.
    Our furnace guy has been great but he like us is frustrated because we can not get it fixed. I am told it is still under warranty but that’s only for parts and a different furnace is out of the question. I am at my wits end as to what to do here. The next closest dealer is over 40 miles away so I really have no other warranty options to use. If anyone has any ideas I may present to the dealer please let us know.

The thermostat fan is set on auto and heat only. It is wired with red – white - green

After all of this I believe a call to the manufacturer is in order. It is possible this has happened to other units besides yours. One possibility that from time to time is overlooked by many is the grounding of the unit both internal ground wiring and from the furnace back to the electric panel. The electronics on the newer units is very sensitive especially on grounding. NOW I am not talking about the neutral (usually white wire) but the green or bare copper wire. What most do not realise is the fact that the white neutral and the black are both current carrying wires. The green wire is for ground only and as mentioned before the circuit board based equipment needs a good ground to make sure all harmonics etc are done with so as not to cause circuit board control problems.

Harmonics (electrical power) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My furnace only blows out cold air [ 1 Answers ]

I have me furnace on auto fan, I put it on 720 and its just blowing out cold air.it worked find last night I turned it down to 66 went ot bed woke up and it was freezing at 62.what could be the problem

Furnace blows cold air unless switched at furnace side [ 3 Answers ]

Hope someone can help: Anywhere below being set at 70 degrees, our furnace blows cold air once it reaches the desired temp. It blows, and blows, and it feels almost as cool as AC! I have to go physically to the actual furnace to switch the switch off and then on and it stops. The "fan" switch on...

Burners on gas furnace shuts off so furnace blows cool air [ 1 Answers ]

Last week, I woke up and the temperature on the thermostat read 65 degrees. That's a little chilly for me. The thermostat was set at 72 degrees. The furnace was blowing cool air. I removed the front panel of the furnace and the burners were not on. When reset, the electrical pilot light work...

Comfortmaker Furnace Fan blows in line fuse and will not allow furnace to work [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Comfortmaker Furnace (approximately 1998/99) and the fan will not turn on allow the furnace to heat. When I try to turn the furnace on it blows a 3 amp fuse at the blower motor. I removed the fuse and jumped it and all it will do is make a faint buzzing noise and not turn on. I can...

View more questions Search