Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nkschmidt Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2012, 06:31 PM
    Just acquired a dog and now there are problems
    I got a six month old male german shepard today and he is eating, drinking water and being very playful all day. I saw he was struggling to take a poop and then in the house he squated and all that came out was some brown water mixed with blood does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with him if so please let me know and I greatly appreciate your responses
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 17, 2012, 06:35 PM
    There are many possibilities, and all of them would have to be checked by a vet to determine.

It could be that he has parvo, although you don't mention vomiting, but it could just be the beginning stages.

It could be a blockage.

It could be the food you're feeding him. Are you feeding him the same food that the previous owner was feeding?

All in all, it could be something serious, and we have no way of giving you a diagnosis online. Get your dog to the vet as soon as possible, if it's a blockage or parvo then this can't wait a day or two, it can't even wait a few hours.

Nov 17, 2012, 06:39 PM
    I have only had him for about 10 hours and he has eating and drank water but it was not the same food they were giving him... he seems really healthy other than the fact he is passing a very small amount of blood.. I have had dogs with parvo and I really don't think that is the case if it's a blockage is there something I can do from home I can't afford to take him to the vet for at least a week
    Pets Expert

Nov 17, 2012, 06:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nkschmidt View Post
    i have only had him for about 10 hours and he has eatin and drank water but it was not the same food they were giving him...he seems really healthy other than the fact he is passing a very small amount of blood..i have had dogs with parvo and i really dont think that is the case if its a blockage is there something i can do from home i can't afford to take him to the vet for at least a week
    Sadly if this is a blockage only a vet can remove it. It may require surgery, something you definitely can't do at home.

I really wish I could tell you to sit back and not worry, but I wouldn't be doing you any good if I did that. Fact is, I can't tell you exactly what's causing this, but there are enough things that could be fatal, that I have to mention them and persuade you to go to the vet.

I really doubt that a different food would cause this severe a reaction, but it could be the case. Whenever you switch food you should do it slowly. Start with 3/4 cup old food and 1/4 cup new for 4 days, then 1/2 old 1/2 new for 4 days, then 1/4 old 3/4 new for 4 days, then all the way to new.

A lot of dogs can have a bad reaction if their food is changed suddenly. That reaction is usually diarrhea, or vomiting, which is why I'm not really sure that's what's going on with your dog.

To me it sounds like a blockage, but that's just a guess, and that's really all I can offer.

Call your vet, they may be willing to work out a payment plan since this is an emergency.

I really hope it all goes well.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Nov 17, 2012, 06:46 PM
    i can't afford to take him to the vet for at least a week
    Oh, here we go... I'm going to try to be as nice about this as I can be... You should not have gotten the dog if you could not take it to the vet. There is nothing we can do for you online, no way we can truly diagnose what is wrong with your dog. The only answer here is to get the dog to a vet. If this is something serious, sitting here on the internet looking for cures is not going to help.

Nov 17, 2012, 06:51 PM
    Thank you both so much for your quick respones and I spent all my money getting him I know I should have had more in case of something like this but I think I will take him in and see what the can do for him I feel like a dumb now and I should I just feel so bad about this situation and I am mad at the people who sold him to me
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Nov 17, 2012, 06:52 PM
    Good luck and I hope everything works out.
    Pets Expert

Nov 17, 2012, 06:57 PM
    thank you both soo much for your quick respones and i spent all my money getting him i know i should have had more incase of something like this but i think i will take him in and see what the can do for him i feel like a dumb now and i should i just feel so bad about this situation and i am mad at the people who sold him to me
    Don't feel bad about this, this isn't your fault. No one gets a dog and thinks they'll have to rush to the vet 10 hours later.

Really, call your vet and see if they'll work with you on this. If one vet won't, call all the vets in your area. You could try the humane society as well.

I really hope it's nothing serious, but I don't feel confident enough to say that it isn't. I'd hate for you to lose your dog because of something you read on the internet.

If it were my dog, and I also have no money for emergency vet care, I'd be going to the vet for this issue. That's all I can tell you.

Nov 17, 2012, 07:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Don't feel bad about this, this isn't your fault. No one gets a dog and thinks they'll have to rush to the vet 10 hours later.

Really, call your vet and see if they'll work with you on this. If one vet won't, call all the vets in your area. You could try the humane society as well.

I really hope it's nothing serious, but I don't feel confident enough to say that it isn't. I'd hate for you to lose your dog because of something you read on the internet.

If it were my dog, and I also have no money for emergency vet care, I'd be going to the vet for this issue. That's all I can tell you.
    OK thank you very much I just feel bad bringing the dog somewhere where he can't get immediate attention but I will call every vet in town and find out if there is something that can be done
    Pets Expert

Nov 17, 2012, 07:08 PM
    ok thank you very much i just feel bad bringing the dog somewhere where he can't get immediate attention but i will call every vet in town and find out if there is something that can be done
    I wish you and your pup luck. Please let us know how it goes, and what they find. I'm crossing my fingers for you both.

Nov 17, 2012, 07:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    I wish you and your pup luck. Please let us know how it goes, and what they find. I'm crossing my fingers for you both.
    Thanks again I sure will post on here and let you guys know when I find out
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2012, 10:50 PM
    If the puppy is acting sick now, and was fine when you got him from the breeder.. than I would suggest to call the breeder. If they are a good breeder and stand behind their dogs, they should be able to help you with this unexpected vet bill.

I'm not saying the breeder will do anything, but it'd be worth a shot to give them a call since they have sold you a sick dog. I know I'd call the breeder to let them know that the puppy is sick.

I hope your puppy is just having a about of stress diarrhea and nothing bad. Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A vacant lot acquired for $150,000, on which there is a balance owed of $80,000, is s [ 0 Answers ]

A vacant lot acquired for $150,000, on which there is a balance owed of $80,000, is sold for $290,000 in cash. The seller pays the $80,000 owed. What is the effect of these transactions on the total amount of the seller's (1) assets, (2) liabilities, and (3) stockholders' equity?

Acquired Land [ 1 Answers ]

A company acquired land an attached building for $600,000 on 7/1/08. The appraised value of these two assets is $250,000 for the land and $500,000 for the building. Based on the appraisal, how much of the $600,000 cost should the company allocate to the land? I got $200,000 for the land, can...

Fixed Assets Acquired [ 3 Answers ]

We are taking ownership of fixed assets from a customer in exchange for a discount on monthly billing. We are taking over the service our customer is presently offers. What should my initial journal entry be?

View more questions Search