Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msr424 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2007, 04:28 PM
    How to do U.S. Tax filling, I am holding H1, my wife and son are holding H4
    Hi,

I am holding H-1B, my wife and son are holding H4. I was here in US for 2 times in 2006, June 7 days and December 14 days, my wife and son came here in December and stayed with me till last week of Jan'07. I want to file my returns for 2006. I am still working here on h-1B. My family will join me back in June'07.

Can I mention my wife and son are dependents for year 2006 and get reduction of tax?
    If so what I need to do an extra along with tax filing?

Thanks in advance
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 16, 2007, 12:41 PM
    You do not qualify to file jointly with your wife as you were NOT in the U.S. long enough to meet the Substantial Presence Test.

You need to file as a non-resident alien, filing Form 1040NR-EZ. You cannot claim either your wife or child as a dependent.
    msr424 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 01:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    You do not qualify to file jointly with your wife as you were NOT in the U.S. long enough to meet the Substantial Presence Test.

You need to file as a non-resident alien, filing Form 1040NR-EZ. You cannot claim either your wife or child as a dependent.
    Thank you AtlanTEx for your helpful answer to my question.

But I have another question for this year 2007.

Can I file jointly for this year 2007 since they are going to joining me in June'07 and also I am going to stay enough to pass the Sub'tl Presence Test

Thanks in advance again,

-M
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 19, 2007, 11:32 AM
    You WILL be able to file jointly for 2007.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Holding 2nd deed [ 1 Answers ]

Someone has expressed interest in purchasing my home with 100% financing--I will carry a 20% 2nd deed. The price is below market value--I backed out the real estate commission. Was curious if this person defaulted on the 1 st and the property sells at auction for more than is left, will I get the...

Holding down the flusher? [ 1 Answers ]

We have to hold down the handle on the toilet to get it to flush all the way and sometimes there are still things left at the bottom. Any idea on what we can do to make it flush without holding the handle, and what can I do about the leftovers? Help please.

Something Holding Me Down... [ 3 Answers ]

It happened about a year ago. I was sleeping and I wanted to wake up and I did. (I usually do that if I feel like something bad is about to happen). So I woke up and couldn't move. And I could see this thing it was black kind of shadow like holding me down. And everything kind of calmed down since...

Holding on... [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, this is going to be a long one... so hold on here and bear with me please... I have only loved one person in my short life-span (20, f), I had a 3 month relationship with him after knowing him for 2.5 yrs, it was long-distance. We ended it on good terms, he just couldn't take not being...

Holding new kittens [ 3 Answers ]

How long after kittens are born can they be touched or held ? I was told that if they were touched too soon the mother would push them away... true or not?

View more questions Search