Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    punk_chungley Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2005, 12:09 PM
    Car trouble
    I have a 1988 hyundai pony with a problem...
    Every now and then I'll be driving along when suddenly it will start to "choke" and stall - as if it's got something in it's throat.
    It sounds and feels like one of the jets in the carb is blocking up as it only "chokes" on lower revs.
    If I leave the car over night ( or for the rest of the day when it happened at college) it starts up fine.
    I've taken it to a garage but they don't seem to know without looking properly and I don't want to fork out lots of money to find the problem only to be told it'll be even more to fix.
    Does this sound like a problem anyeone has come across before?
    To add some more info if it helps... when I filled up the other day, I undone the petrol cap and felt air either being sucked or blown out the tank...
    Could it be air bubbles in the tank/fuel pipe causing it to conk out and then dispursing over night?
    Also... when it first happened, I took it to a garage where they discovered the fuel filter had crumbled up and caused blokage, they blew most of it out with an airline could traces of it still be left in the tank, passing through bits at a time?
    I hope all this makes sense, I suppose it's partly all of the above and not worth fixing right?

Cheers for any suggestions

:confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2005, 12:37 PM
    The last of the carburetored cars were some of the worst to trouble shoot. They piled complication on top of complication trying to overcome problems with the carburetors. Some of this involved venting the gas tank. Your problem could be as simples as the wrong gas cap. Or a rubber hose somewhere could have collapsed or be plugged not letting air into the tank, not letting gas out. Next time it quits on you, take the air cleaner off and work the throttle watching for a squirt of gas into it carburetor. If not, remove the gas cap listening for the whoosh. Put things back together, and see if it starts. You may try frequent replacements of the fuel filter too, or even add one closer to the carburetor.
    punk_chungley Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2005, 02:17 PM
    Thanks for the reply I will try that next time it happens.
    Is there anything I could look for while it's still on the drive?
    Like holes in tubes or anything?

Cheers
    _Me_ Posts: 107, Reputation: 2

Jan 4, 2011, 07:50 AM
    My car did something similar, I started replacing the fuel filter. You could check the PCV valve. Locate the PCV valve, and remove and inspect it, and if you can blow through it, iin both ends, then you need a new one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat is in trouble [ 3 Answers ]

My cat has little black dots on his lip, and they are starting to appear on his nose, and in his eyelid (where humans put eyeliner on) but, its really bugging me. Is it normal? Can I treat it? What is it? Where did it come from.. please help me and my two year old kitty... thank you so much... ...

Boy trouble [ 5 Answers ]

There's these 2 boys who are best friends. I like both of them, but I like the other 1 better. The best friend is mad at me. I don't want to break there friendship up but I want the 1 boy to go out with me.What should I do? :confused:

Car trouble [ 5 Answers ]

I have an 89 oldmobile cutlass siarre 4 door my problem is that my car keeps cutting off on me while I am driving it does not have 100,000 miles yet it under that. This problem just started and it has gotten worst I went to the mechanic and change the oil filter, and the oil pump still nothing now...

Boy trouble [ 4 Answers ]

Thanks you guys! You were great help. I chose Michael, James is to immature, and I almost NEVER see Dylan! I'll be posting!

Having trouble getting over ex [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 17, and when I was 15 I started going out with this girl, who became my first love, and led me on a relationship that lasted a year and a half. Two months ago, we broke up because she's Seventh-Day Adventist, and I'm Catholic. For those of you who don't know, Seventh-Day Adventists are very...

View more questions Search