Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbloom57 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2012, 12:57 AM
    Do I have a problem with the sewage line from house to city line?
    Recently, I had to call plumbers out to my house for a stopped up toilet. I have a home warranty and was initially covered for them to clear the stoppage. When they came I had two functioning toilets out of the three. The one in the basement had no problem and still continues to work. The "guest" toilet is the one that started having the problem and then the other toilet started having problems while the plummers were there. They claimed that they could not clear either toilet and that the problem may likely be the sewage line that runs from the house to the city line which is not covered under my home warranty insurance. This may very well be the case, but I can't understand why my basement toilet would still be working if this was the problem. As it stands, they are coming out this morning and doing a clearing area on one side of my house ( I can't remember exactly the term they used). They said if this didn't work, they will use a camera to figure out the problem. This alone will run me 750.00 for clearing and another 400 for the camera. If they have to do something to the line in front of my house that could run into a couple of thousand. I could not sleep thinking about this. So I thought maybe I will try the toilets since the one in the basement is being used more (never use it), maybe the activity will help clear the line. Interestingly enough, both toilets started to work. However, the front toilet started to back up again after the third flush, so I still have a problem. Any advice would really be appreciated.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2012, 02:38 AM
    Nope, if one or two works, the problem is not in the line to the city.
    Which is still your property.

The stopage has to be in the sewer line between where the working toilet connects and where they connect.

If the blockage was in the line to the city, all the toilets and all of the sinks, and bath tubs would all be effected.

If the new blockage started when they were their, they most likely pushed it deeper and now blocking two,

** with that, most home warranties are not worth the paper they are written on, they send very unqualified repair people, who almost always find additional problems.

Most "rotor" companies run 100 dollar specials, or even at worst are about 300 dollars, these guys are wanting three times the normal rate in my area of Georgia ( Atlanta)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 16, 2012, 07:11 AM
    You are 100% correct! If your basement toilet works then the service line to the street's clear. If you can figure that out and your plumbers can't,
    that the problem may likely be the sewage line that runs from the house to the city line
    then you know more about plumbing then they do.
    Hold off on those expensive tests until the plumbers pull a toilet and snake the line. The toilet they should pull would be the toilet downstream from the guest toilet. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to connect vent line to sewer line in a 3 unit house? [ 3 Answers ]

I need to have something clarified for me, I have a 3 unit house that I recently bought and the cast iron sewer pipe was cracked from the 2nd fl down to the 1st fl. It has been cut away and I have the 4' pvc to replace it but now I cannot remember how the vent line was connected to it. The vent...

My sewage line came loose under my house. What can I do to get rid of the smell now? [ 3 Answers ]

My sewage line came loose under my house. It was loose for awhile and now there is standing water under there house. I put a fan blowing on the water to gas it off but it stinks real bad. When the water is all gone what can I spray or put under the house to kill the smell. I thought I would mix...

Air in house water line, city water [ 1 Answers ]

About midnight, I turned on the upstairs water and air came out with smelly black stuff. It instantly bled the line and flushed the black stuff out. The upstairs toliets also had trapped air that bled out. Is this a problem with my house system or is it from the city water supply? Also, is the...

Sewer Line plugged at city line [ 2 Answers ]

Hi~I own an old home and all of a sudden we have plugged sewer drainage! First, the toilet REALLY overflowed and after plunging the toilet, it backflowed into the shower, ugh, nasty! I took the toilet off, snaked (50 feet) into the lines, nothing there, did the same with the shower. Still...

View more questions Search