Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seingangels Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2012, 09:31 PM
    If I fumigate my house is there a way of powderpost beetles coming back into the home
    At the moment I believe I have Powderpost Beetles taking over my bedroom furniture, I wanting to know If I fumigate will this prevent them from coming back again. And also will I be able to save my furniture or must I get rid of it?
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Nov 16, 2012, 12:04 PM
    .. found these websites that have useful information for you. Methyl bromide is seeing less use these days. Homeowners can't buy methyl bromide. Home use fumigants won't work for powderpost beetles. Most home use fumigants are not true fumigants (gas). The fumigant used by most structural pest control companies is called Vikane (sulfuryl fluoride).

Powderpost beetles

Powderpost Beetles in Furniture

How to kill and get rid of Powder Post Beetles

Powderpost Beetles | University of Kentucky Entomology

(there are more websites. I just posted the first few I found useful.)

What is the condition of your furniture? Is it homemade? Is the furniture new? Do you have other unfinished wood in the house? Where do you see the damage? Has it spread to other parts of the house, including in the house?

I don't like the idea of spraying an insecticide as a protective treatment especially on fine furniture. You might have to get rid of the infested furniture, or at least quarantine it, if you can, until you can see that it is not infested anymore. You can consider bagging the furniture if you treat it so that you don't have to treat the entire house. Some pest control companies will have fumigation chambers just for this purpose.

If the furniture is new, it probably came in on the furniture. If you are able to get them out of the furniture, reinfestation will be unlikely, but prevention is a big word.

Do you have a fireplace? You might be bringing in beetles on the firewood.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Reference my overflow pipe coming out of the back of the house is dripping [ 1 Answers ]

Can you tell me if this is normal? Or, is this a problem of sorts? I checked the line in my basement and see no leakage. From the inside of the basement, the pipe is a part of the outside faucet. However, it doesn't seem to be from the water to the faucet since I closed that valve from the...

Tapping noise in one area of house after toilet flushes.. when water is coming back [ 3 Answers ]

HELP! :eek:Very irritating noise. I have three toilets in my house and this applies to all three. After flushing the toilet... there's a constant tapping noise during the time when the tank is being filled. The tapping noise is in one location of the house. Here's what I've done so far: *No...

Husband left home but keeps coming back! [ 4 Answers ]

Husband left our home back in February and is renting a home for himself elsewhere. He still comes and goes as he pleases every once in awhile. I am very uncomfortable with this. I didn't see him for a month and all of a sudden he was knocking on my window which scared me to death! I don't think...

Beetles [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to rid beetles that are eating the leaves of my outdoor plants other than using one of those beetle bags

View more questions Search