Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eheger Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2005, 10:04 AM
    AVG Anti-Virus Scan Question
    I have AVG Anti-Virus free edition. When I run a full system scan manually, the test comes back complete with no virus found and no errors. However, when I schedule a test to run automatically at a specific time, the result always comes back with 13 viruses found. Specifically, various trojan horses like "downloader.stubby" and "downloader.lstbar," which are imbedded and cannot be deleted. Also found are multiple viruses called "JS/PSyme," whice are not imbedded and can be deleted. But the next time a scheduled test runs again, the same 13 viruses are found. If I run a full scan manually, no viruses are found, but it seems like it scans only half the amount of objects that a scheduled test scans. Can anyone please help me by answering: (1) Why do the scheduled tests find these viruses, but the manual tests do not? (2) How do I permanently get rid of these 13 viruses that are found each time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2005, 10:54 AM
    Avg
    Hi,
    I am sorry, but don't know the specific answer to your question. Perhaps the AVG website, under FAQ's or Help, can answer them.
    This is one reason why AVG has such a low rating at www.cnet.com/downloads, in the Users' Opinions area.

If you wish to try a top rated free antivirus program, with downloadable free definitions every week, check out:

Avast free Antivirus Program
    (93% approval rating at cnet.com/downloads)
    http://www.download.com/Avast-Home-E...ml?tag=lst-0-3
    (Better than AVG; with 69% approval rating.)

Best of luck,
    fredg
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jan 15, 2005, 12:44 PM
    Avg
    Grisoft no longer offer support for AVG 6.0 as from 30th December,2004,for technical reasons.If you use it,it will no longer protect your system! Upgrade to version 7.0 as soon as possible.As this product is both paid-for,and freeware,either way you can upgrade at no cost.The link is http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2
    Again,virus products are personal choice.I use AntiVir Personal Edition 6.27,as it's free,and you get free 24/7 support.It was also among the winners of comparison test featured in popular computer journals.The link for this is http://www.free-av.com/
    All the best,
    Nez.
    eheger Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2005, 10:13 PM
    Thanks for the tips guys. I began using Avast today.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you prevent MS Word from requesting a virus scan? [ 8 Answers ]

What I want to know is how to prevent MS Word from making the request in the first place. What registry entry, if there is one, needs to be changed to disable it. Yes, I've read the other posts about Word requesting virus scans and those solutions do not help my set up. I have virus protection...

MS Word & Excel Requesting Virus Scan [ 2 Answers ]

When opening a Word Excel document the message 'requesting virus scan' appears when opening the application then when opening the file the same message again. Instead of a couple of seconds for whole procedure it now takes 11 to 23 seconds. I had made no changes to my computer. Following another...

MSword requesting virus scan-?help [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem with MSword. When I open a doc it takes a while and when I finally get word open there is a note on the bottom bar saying "requesting virus scan". Then it loads the document. I run a fast PC, late version of word, scan for virus with norton (updated weekly). Any thoughts on...

Virus scan program [ 5 Answers ]

Can someone help me with a good and free virus scanner? Bye boud

Anti virus disable, is is a virus? [ 1 Answers ]

I was running AVG atni-virus, and it just stopped working... it would start to scan then completely close out, so I deleted it off my computer and re installed it I had the same problem so I got norton and I had the same problem.  so I'm guessing I have something on my computer that's turning them...

View more questions Search