Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andrew2222 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2012, 11:38 AM
    Buying used car from private party California
    I just bought a car that had 110,000 listed on its ad for sale. As I went to sign for the title the pink slip sais 150,000. He had said it was because he replaced the speedometer a while back(which is broke 5 days later).- and its reading the miles from the car it wadspulled from. I still bought it because it was still a good price for that many miles. Whe I got homeand cleaned out the car, I found a receipt that said the miles were 164,000 a year ago. I was a little pissed. So, he had not smogged it and gave me the potion to do it myself for $100 less on price of the car. So
    I did it myself and did not pass because the service engin light is broken. Now Im more pissed! Im going on the 8th day and have not been to dmv to transfer... what should I do??
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 15, 2012, 12:04 PM
    In CA it's the law that the seller must have the car smog checked, and it must pass before they can sell it. Since the seller failed to do so you can either (a) go back to him and reach an agreement that he gets it to pass smog, and he pays for whatever repairs are needed to do so, or (b) get the repairs done yourself and then sue him in small claims for the cost of repairs. For reference se this state of CA web site: http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARRe...ns_Part_1.html

As for the misstatement about the odometer - if the seller misrepresented the condition of the car you can sue him for lost value, even though the sales is "AS IS." Selling "as is" does not give the seller the right to lie about what he's selling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the law for buying a used car from a private party,car wasn't well maintaine [ 1 Answers ]

Seller stated car was well maintained, machanic states car is poorly maintained. The back brakes had to be replaced including rotors on the 4th day after I bought it. The bottom of the engine is soaked in oil and there is a knocking noise. I asked for their maintenance records but was told they...

I'm a private party selling car in California, Law? [ 4 Answers ]

:) I want to know if I can sell it as is or if I have to warrantee anything?? Does it depend on value of car or milage? What should I know before selling my car?

California private party used car sale law [ 2 Answers ]

I just purchased a 2001 Blazer in Gilroy California , test drove it,it was fine, and a week later picked it up and it over heated 5 minutes into my drive home.I checked the coolant levels and it was empty,filled the cooling system up again ,and made it home. The next day it overheated again.I feel...

California private party used car law [ 2 Answers ]

When buying a used car in California, does the buyer have any recourse if the car renders inoperative within 90 days of purchase and there is no written contract.

Selling/buying a car to/from a private party [ 3 Answers ]

I really appreciate if anybody can help me by answering the following... 1) When you sell a car to a private party, what do you need to do? > a)Do you just need to sign on the title and give it to the buyer? > b)Do you need to go to a office to cancel the registration/tag/license plate? >...

View more questions Search