Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jacobglauber Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2007, 12:53 PM
    Jacob - New Homeowner
    I have a 220V wash machine that has a three prong plug. The 220V receptacle has four prongs. I chose to change the receptacle rather then the plug, not to lose the warranty. The problem is that I am left with one extra wire that comes to the original four prong receptacle, its either the green or the white. What am I suppose to do with it?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2007, 01:44 PM
    If you have a 200 volt clothes washer, can I assume you are located in the UK, or Europe?

The green and white confuses me, seems to indicate that your in the US. I am not familiar with a 200 volt washer in the US, all that I know are 120 volts, unless this is some sort of commercial unit.

Without knowing the actual specs of the washer, and since it only has three wire cord and plug, I am sure the cord and plug is intended to be only for two hots and equipment ground, therefore the white in the outlet box should be capped, and the green to be connected to a green screw on the receptacle.

My thinking is that the washer if a neutral was needed or not, no matter, it certainly always needs an equipment ground, so the green is necessary and the white neutral is not.
    jacobglauber Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2007, 02:33 PM
    Dear tkrussell,

Thanks for your quick response

First of all I don't know if it makes a diffrence but I wrote 220 (two twenty) not 200 (two hundred) it's a regular three prong 220 volt receptacle for standard washer/dryer combo, and I live in the US.
    Left and right I connected the red and black then the L shpe hole on top is what I'm concerned about. Is this for the green or the white. Right now I connected to the L shape the white and it actually works, but I don't know if this is righ.

Thank you again for your answer
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2007, 02:50 PM
    Ok this is a white neutral, and the frame of the appliance is connected to the white inside the unit, so sounds like you are all set.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Homeowner Liability Insurance [ 3 Answers ]

I own a rental condo on the 9th floor in an 11 story poured in place concrete and steel building. I carry a liability insurance policy on this property. If there is water damage to a unit below me (hot water heater valve malfunction causing flooding) will this liability policy cover the damage to...

Homeowner is selling house. [ 1 Answers ]

Our landlord/homeowner is selling the home we live in and is asking us to allow the realtor access to the property if and when they need it. The owner sent us a letter stating his intention to sell and is giving us a reduction on our rent so long as we get the home in "show-shape". What is...

Delinquent Homeowner Dues [ 2 Answers ]

I was recently elected as the Board Secretary/Treasurer for our Condominium Association and inherited the issue of HOA Dues delinquency. We have an owner who is always late on his HOA dues. He owes about 5 months worth of HOA dues. Besides filing a lien against his property, what is the best...

Please Help: Advice for a homeowner about a Contractor! [ 4 Answers ]

Good afternoon. First some background. Recently I got a new position with my company. I stay in Cherry Hill NJ 3 weeks of every month for work, and on the 4th week I fly home to Oregon to be with my family. Hard hours, but that's how I pay the bills. I rent a room with a friend while here,...

Homeowner liability [ 20 Answers ]

As a homeowner renting out a room, can my roommate sue me if she has a slip and fall type accident on my property?

View more questions Search