Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monawheeler Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2012, 07:14 PM
    New dwarf hamster, need help!!
    I've always loved hamsters, especially the small ones. I had hamsters for pets when I was 6, but that was really the last time I dealt with them. I recently just got a fancy dwarf hamster, and I'm not sure how to go about dealing with it... It can't be more than a month old, as it was recently weaned (and I keep saying 'it' as I'm not sure if it is a male or female). Flash (the hamster's name) has been biting me since the second day I've had him, even though I've been doing everything that most websites say: talking softly, letting him smell me, offering treats, not scooping him up... I've been trying not to stick my hand near his nesting area, but it's hard not to since he has 3 specific spots in his cage. I could really use some help!!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 13, 2012, 07:19 PM
    I've moved your thread to the Pets board. Alty is our hamster expert and will give you some good advice. Meanwhile, look at these sites --

http://www.ehow.com/how_5856129_care-fancy-hamsters.html

http://russiandwarfhamsters.tripod.com/
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Nov 13, 2012, 07:25 PM
    I've had all sorts of rodents since I was a kid. Even though hamsters are pretty easy going, now and then you will come across one that is a biter. Sometimes after they get used to you they will stop... others, well, some just seem to be biters until the day they die.

Just keep doing what you're doing, try not to startle your hamster, and you may have one that will just stop biting when it feels more comfortable around you.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 13, 2012, 07:33 PM
    Is a hamster a rodent? Should I move this thread?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Nov 13, 2012, 07:39 PM
    Yes, hamsters are rodents. Should you move this thread? That's entirely up to you.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 13, 2012, 07:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Yes, hamsters are rodents. Should you move this thread? That's entirely up to you.
    Curlyben might hurt me if I put it on the wrong board.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 13, 2012, 08:57 PM
    Yes, hamster are rodents, unlike rabbits which are often put into the rodent category (not by you WG, but the world) when they are not rodents at all. There's my tiny bit of rodent trivia for you. :)

To the OP, you picked a difficult hamster breed. Like dogs, and rabbits, hamsters do have different breeds, and breed can play a huge part in temperament.

You said that you bought a fancy dwarf hamster. Is it a russian dwarf by chance? Short hair, brownish grey, smaller in stature? Dwarfs are notorious for being very aggressive.

Having said that, breed is just a small part of who these little animals are. Keep doing what you're doing, and hope that you win him over. But, like Odinn said, some hamster are just biters, and no matter what you do, and how much time you put into it, they will never be anything but who they are.

Right now it's undecided, as your hamster is still very young. So keep trying and hope that he comes around.

I'd love pictures, even though I know that getting a hamster picture is about as easy as getting a picture of big foot. ;)
    monawheeler Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2012, 09:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Yes, hamster are rodents, unlike rabbits which are often put into the rodent category (not by you WG, but the world) when they are not rodents at all. There's my tiny bit of rodent trivia for you. :)

To the OP, you picked a difficult hamster breed. Like dogs, and rabbits, hamsters do have different breeds, and breed can play a huge part in temperment.

You said that you bought a fancy dwarf hamster. Is it a russian dwarf by chance? Short hair, brownish grey, smaller in stature? Dwarfs are notorious for being very aggressive.

Having said that, breed is just a small part of who these little animals are. Keep doing what you're doing, and hope that you win him over. But, like Odinn said, some hamster are just biters, and no matter what you do, and how much time you put into it, they will never be anything but who they are.

Right now it's undecided, as your hamster is still very young. So keep trying and hope that he comes around.

I'd love pictures, even though I know that getting a hamster picture is about as easy as getting a picture of big foot. ;)
    He's very small, brownish gray, with a black stripe down the middle of his back. He resembles a tiny chipmunk! Lol. I think I'm going to let him be for a day or so, an just talk to him. As soon as I can get to a computer, I can post a photo. I was lucky enough to get one of him perfectly still last night! Thank you for the help. :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 13, 2012, 09:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by monawheeler View Post
    He's very small, brownish gray in color, with a black stripe down the middle of his back. He resembles a tiny chipmunk! lol. I think I'm going to let him be for a day or so, an just talk to him. As soon as I can get to a computer, I can post a photo. I was lucky enough to get one of him perfectly still last night! Thank you for the help. :)
    I'd post a picture of a russian dwarf for you, but right now I'm crippled. My computer died a few days ago and I'm on my daughters laptop. Doing any sort of search right now, well, it would be easier and faster to go the library and send you a picture in the post.

But, from what you described, you have a russian dwarf. They're known for their aggression, not a hamster I would suggest if you have children, but, if you work with them, they can be tamed. They just require more work than a syrian hamster.

Having said that, Odinn's advice is very valid. If your hamster is a biter, there's no changing that. But do give it a chance before you determine that you have a biter on your hands. Right now he's still very young, and with some patience and time, you may be able to make him the perfect pet. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dwarf hamster [ 4 Answers ]

I bought two of these hamsters got to give them both some love and one was dead with its face bitten and its eye gone do you have any suggestions please x x

What is this bump on my dwarf hamster? [ 0 Answers ]

I have had my dwarf hamster, mashka, for about 5 months, & she was about 3-4 months when I got her. A week and a half ago my friend was playing with her when she felt a hard lump on mashkas right side, kind of under her. Today I saw mashka stretch against her glass cage, & I saw that the bump is...

I just had a dwarf hamster, how do I take care of her best? [ 1 Answers ]

I know I'm not supposed to touch her or so for the first days, & put toys in her cage. I'm just worried she doesn't like her new home, and that she may die from stress or things like that. She sometimes stares @ me like she wants attention but when I put my hand close to her (without touching) she...

My dwarf hamster has some kind of scab on her back... [ 5 Answers ]

Hi About a month ago I noticed my dwarf hamster has a kind of crusty scab on her back... I thought it might have been from a cut or something but after it fell off it keeps coming back... also... once the crusty stuff falls off the skin beneath it seems to be slightlty swollen and red. I've also...

Dwarf hamster has strange bump [ 5 Answers ]

I have a dwarf hamster named surgar. I've had her since July of 2008 and she's been healthy and happy. About a month ago I noticed that she had lump to the side of her stomach. I was worried but tried not to think anything of it. Ever since then, it grew really big to a point where it looks almost...

View more questions Search