Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KURSAT Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2007, 11:59 AM
    How I can fill tax return wihtout my wife ITIN # and show her at my tax return
    I'm a h1 visa holder living New York and my wife joined with me she has h4 visa
    When I fill this year tax return I want to get benefit how I can get ITIN # for her
    Yes I know about W-7 form but it's very confision
    Give me some info please step by step
    Thanks
    kepi Posts: 321, Reputation: 25

Mar 13, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KURSAT
    I'm a h1 visa holder living new york and my wife joined with me she has h4 visa
    when i fill this year tax return i want to get benifit how i can get ITIN # for her
    yes i know about W-7 form but it's very confision
    give me some info please step by step
    thanks
    Without an ITIN, you cannot show your wife as a dependent. You have to get an ITIN number. Most states offer free tax help.
    Also, know that you probably won't get any benefits by declaring your wife as a dependent.
    KURSAT Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kepi
    Without an ITIN, you cannot show your wife as a dependant. You have to get an ITIN number. Most states offer free tax help.
    Also, know that you probably won't get any benefits by declaring your wife as a dependant.

Ok but we applied for ITIN # and they ask for tax return form than ido not understand how we filled tax return form with out ITIN#
    kepi Posts: 321, Reputation: 25

Mar 13, 2007, 01:17 PM
    I would suggest that you go to the local library and ask for help there. r, they have a bookle for each tax form.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 16, 2007, 12:00 PM
    You need professional tax help; see my email below.

You complete and sign the Form W-7 and staple a notarized photocopy of your wife's passport to the W-7. You then submit BOTH form with your tax return. Put your wife's name on the return, but leave the SSN area blank. Mail the return to the address in the W-7 instructions.

The IRS will issue you the ITIN, insert it in the appropriate part of the tax return, then process the return. They mail you the ITIN under separate letter.

Then (and only then) can you file your state tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Having H1B visa and Wife H4 can we file Tax return Jointly [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am first time filing the Tax returns in US I am a software engineer and presently located in WA state. I am in US since late July 06 and my wife comes here in second week of Nov 06. My questions are 1. Can we file Tax returns Jointly if so which form I should fill (here I am talking about ...

Tax Return while on H1-B and wife on H4 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have seen your web site. Its very helpful. I have a question. I am on H1-B, I worked on H1-B in 2006 whole year. I went back to my home country for a month in March 2006 and got married. My wife got H4 visa from US embassy in my country in March2006 but she did not come with me. She...

Tax return and ITIN number for my dependants [ 1 Answers ]

I came to US (Atlanta GA)on H1B visa with my Wife(IN H4) and Son ( in H4)on July 9th 2006. I do not have not ITIN number for my dependants so far. Can I claim my tax returns with Married with child status and submit for their ITIN along with the return.

Tax return. I am on H1B and My wife in India [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am in USA for the full tax year 2006. My wife is in India and can't come here before April 15 which is the last day of filing Federal tax return(May be she will not join me in another 7-8 months). What will be the status of my tax return? What is the process to claim the tax...

Tax return for "married" with wife on H4 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in New Jersey since September 2004. So in the calendar year of 2005 I have been a resident of New Jersey. I am on H1 Visa. My wife Came to US in May 2005 on H4 Visa. I have following questions on filing tax return for 2005: 1. Am I a resident alien? Is my wife a ...

View more questions Search