Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brooksro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2012, 02:08 PM
    2 different voltages on one receptacle
    I have a 120 vac receptacle where my dw and disposal were plugged in. I am going to use an air switch to turn the disposal off and on. Therefore I removed the switch that used to control the disposal and shorted the 2 wires together with a wire nut. Back at the receptacle, there is a neutral, a black, and a red wire. The black and red wires each go to one side of the receptacle. (coupling tab is broken off) Problem is, I measure 120 v on one side of the receptacle, but only 27.5 on the other. There is about 52 volts between the black and the red. What the heck?
    HowHardCanItBe Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Mar 29, 2014, 10:26 AM
    You'll get strange readings like that because you are reading through the appliances. Always unplug everything when taking voltage readings.

Separate the wires at old switch, safe them off with wirenuts. You can save them for future use.

At the receptacle, the black will still feed the receptacle for the dishwasher, as well as feed the line side of your airswitch. The load side of the airswitch will be new feed to disposal--you will abandon the old red wire. You will need to either replace receptacle with one that doesn't have tab broken off, or add #12 jumper wire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Install receptacle and 2 light switches from existing receptacle [ 2 Answers ]

I have an outside reeptacle, need to add another receptacle and 2 light switches

Batteries and Voltages [ 2 Answers ]

Given three batteries with voltages of 1.0V , 6.0V , and 11.0V . WHat are the minimum and maximum voltages that could be achieved by connecting them in series?

Computer AVR and Voltages [ 0 Answers ]

If I plug my 110v hairdryer to the 110v slot on an AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator) for computers, would it work? Is it safe? I'm planning on using my 110v things in Asia where they use 220v for electrical outlets. I don't want to have to get 1 of those transformers or I really have to? HELP!

Keyboard test pin voltages [ 1 Answers ]

I have checked the test pin voltages for my keyboard and they are as follows: pin 4 pin 1 -0.00 pin 4 pin 2 -3.87 pin 4 pin 3 -4.37 pin 4 pin 5 -0.01 pin 4 pin 6 -3.87 Could anyone advise if these values are within limits and, if not, is it an indication of a problem with the system board?

View more questions Search