Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pkegel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2007, 11:30 AM
    Proper Answer to How are you?
    Is answering Okay to the question, "How are you" rude?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2007, 11:32 AM
    No I don't think it's rude.
    "I'm fine, thank you." would be good manners.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 13, 2007, 02:53 PM
    I think that's a good answer but all depends on how well you know the person who asked and how much you both elaborate, or how feel at the time. I tend not to say express by feelings unless it is warranted.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Mar 13, 2007, 03:07 PM
    No its on the casual side but it certainly doesn't run to the rude.
    In some formal settings, it may come off as a bit unpolished but that still isn't rude... unless the person knew better and did it with malice, then that would be rather rude.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Mar 20, 2007, 03:23 PM
    "I'm well, thank you" or, "Fine thank you", followed by, "how are you?" is probably the most polite. OK is, well, "ok" - not bad, not great. It can come off as not really being o but more like, "well, not great".

I think what is rude is to completely unload on someone who asks this in passing as a greeting, or to be impatient when people actually do tell you more than you wanted to hear in response.

I do think that in close relationships, when the other person is really trying to engage you in a discussion because they feel something is not quite right, the answer of "ok" is dismissive, and in that way is rude. If this is your situation (your Mom finds it rude, your boyfriend, whatever), I would think that answering, "well, you're right, some things are bothering me" might be better and if you don't feel like talking at that time, just say, "I'm really tired right now but we can talk about it after dinner (or tomorrow night, or whatever)". The other person needs to respect your boundaries, and if they don't, you will be justified in going back to ,"ok"!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proper flushing [ 5 Answers ]

I'm currently having a problem with my toilet not flushing properly ( everything not going down ). Could this be a venting problem? How can it be fixed? Regards, Ken

Proper venting [ 1 Answers ]

Can a new bathroom, toilet, sink, and shower be vented through an existing 1 1/2" vent? The bathroom will be in the basement, and the vent is part of kitchen on the first floor. Would a 2 1/2" better, or can I use what I have if I tie into the vent above the kitchen sink ? Thank you... Rick

Proper English [ 1 Answers ]

What is the proper way to use the word comraderie?

Proper etiquette [ 3 Answers ]

One of my closest friends is getting married and I am in the wedding party. Things are getting quite pricey between dress, shoes, bridal shower, bachlorette party, not to mention the cost of the hotel room for the weekend. The reception is at a very nice place and unfortunately that nice place...

Proper venting [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Experts, My son and I are doing the new DWV system for our house. I have a lot of experience in doing plumbing so I'm not a novice, but I do need to make sure I am doing the venting properly (I know the vent is just as important as the drain lines) as I haven't done anything quite this...

View more questions Search