Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sdbk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2007, 11:00 AM
    Cost of professional exterior painting
    I am looking for ballpark figures on what it costs to have somebody re-paint the exterior of our home? I have no clue what the range would be.

We are in San Diego. It is a two story, approx. 2,000 square foot home. Mostly stucco, but some wood siding too. It has needed to be re-painted for a couple of years now so I assume the prep work would be a moderate amount of work.

Any guesses? Also, any arguments I can use with my hubby so he stops insisting that he can do it himself?

;)
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Mar 13, 2007, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbk
    I am looking for ballpark figures on what it costs to have somebody re-paint the exterior of our home? I have no clue what the range would be.

We are in San Diego. It is a two story, approx. 2,000 square foot home. Mostly stucco, but some wood siding too. It has needed to be re-painted for a couple of years now so I assume the prep work would be a moderate amount of work.

Any guesses? Also, any arguments I can use with my hubby so he stops insisting that he can do it himself?

;)
    Tell your husband that I decided to do it myself to save the money and it took me all summer. Hope he feels comfortable on a 20 foot ladder because the real fun isn't on the ground, the excitement begins on the ladder. Especially near the power service line. Will need: disc sander, scrapers, caulk, ladder and ladder stabilizer, brushes, primer, paint and the commitment to work all summer in the heat and not have time for anything else. I had an estimate for a two story house about the size you described of $3,500, including all prep work. It took me over a month just to get it prepared for paint. Wish I took the painter's price and spent some time enjoying summer.
    scri8e Posts: 92, Reputation: 7

Mar 13, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Look into having the house power washed verses
    Sand blasted. Prep'n the outside of the house by hand is slow back breaking work. Most pro paint outfits. Either power wash or sand blast.
    If it were me. I would have the house power washed if it wasn't too bad. Sand blasted if it was in need of more. Rent or buy a "Hopper" and apply elastomeric(sp) paint. For the fascia boards/trim I would put up in place of those Hardie planks that I ordered in the color I wanted. You won't have to do a thing to the out side of your home for 20 years +.

Do it once do it right is my motto.
    cecilgrass Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2010, 06:15 PM

I was a diyer myself until my last attempt at painting the house. I ended up looking for <a
    href="http://www.rainerpainting.com/">Moorestown NJ painters</a> to call in a hurry. I got lucky and found
    Moorestown NJ Painters | South Jersey Painting Contractors | Haddonfield NJ Painters and they took care of it. If you want to do it yourself, know what you're doing. Otherwise call the pros and save the 3 grand.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cost of end. Inv. And cost of goods sold under average cost [ 1 Answers ]

It's me again! I have another question to the same problem. In case someone else responds, I'll post the problem again. June 1 inv20051000 June 12 purch.30061800 June 23 purch. 50073500 June 30 inv. I need to compute the cost of the ending inventory and the cost of goods sold using the...

Painting Exterior Wooden Deck Rail [ 3 Answers ]

A treated deck was installed in 2004, no paint or stain at this time. In 2006 I painted the top rail with an exterior wood paint. The painted surface is now chipping and flaking off. I'm assuming that I should have primed it first (ouch). My question is, do I now have to sand this down to a bare...

Exterior paint jobs - cost? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to paint the outside of my house and I got a quote from someone in town and I'm a little sketical about the cost. It's a one story, 1400 foot house in San Diego with stucco. The quote I got to power wash, paint the house and paint the trim is $2000. Does this sound right? Seems low to me...

Painting Cost [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I don't really know much about cars but I have a quick question. I have a 94 Toyota Camry SE that's painted a weird red color (it's a cross between fire engien red and maroon) and I really don't like it. It's kind of scratched and chipped and I would love to paint it black. How much...

View more questions Search