Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AVK Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2012, 10:36 AM
    Filling Form W-4, wife came in recently on H4
    Hi,

I came into US in Feb 2012 on a H1B, with my first employer I had filled in my total exemptions as "4" mentioned as below.

A. Enter "1" for yourself if no one else can claim you as dependent = 1
    B.Enter "1" if you are married, have only one job and your spouse does not work = 1
    C. Enter "1" for your spouse = 1
    E. Enter "1" if you will file as Head of Household on your tax return = 1

I understand the first three exemptions, the reason I had entered "1" on "E" was because I was alone in the US until September 2012 and since my wife was non resident alien my employer asked me to fill up the total as 4. My wife joined me in the US in September 2012.

I have recently changed my job and have to submit a new W4 to my employer, my employer says that my total exemption should be 3 and I would not be able to select option E on 'W4' .

I am a bit confused now, can I sum up my total exemptions to 4 or should I change it to 3. Will I be able to file under Married Filling Jointly status or should I be filling it under some other status.

My earlier exemption of '4' with my previous employer, would that create any issues when I file my returns.

Please help me out this clarification.

Regards,
    AVK

Check out some similar questions!

Need help with filling tax FORM 843 [ 1 Answers ]

I am a non-resident alien on OPT and am filing Form 843 for a refund on my FICA taxes(Social Security and Medicare) that were held in error by my employer. Need help with filling this form: # 3- Type of tax? # 4-Type of penalty? # 5a-Do I need to check any box? 5b-Date(s) of payment? #...

Filling out a pld-c-010 form [ 0 Answers ]

I am trying to fill out a pld-c-010 form. I am being sued by a credit card company. On ? 3, I don't know what to check because I do agree that I owe them money. I just don't have the means to pay at this time. They have been unwilling to work with me and now this summons. I also don't...

W4 form question. H1B, recently married, wife joining me with H4 [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have been working in the US for the past 2 years on an H1B visa. I got married on September 17th 2010 in my home country and my wife is joining me in the US on October 21st 2010 with an H4 visa. We have no children and no other dependents. I will be the only one working while we remain in...

Does my wife also sign my w8ben form or does she file a separate form? [ 4 Answers ]

I want to cash in stocks I have with the united states and was told my wife and I need to file a w8ben form to avoid paying the tax, Do we sign the same form or do we both need to fill out the w8ben form separately?

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.