Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlhamon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2005, 12:53 PM
    Anti-Virus download problems
    My wife has an older Dell PC with Windows98SE and has been unable to download any of the free anti-virus or anti-spyware programs (which I have downloaded on my newer WinXP PC). When attempting to download nothing happens - no error message, etc.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Jlh
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2005, 02:30 PM
    Anti-virus programs
    HI,
    Has she tried the Avast free antivirus program?

It's at:

Avast free Antivirus Program
    (93% approval rating at cnet.com/downloads)
    http://www.download.com/Avast-Home-E...ml?tag=lst-0-3
    (Better than AVG; with 69% approval rating.)

You might try it; see if it downloads.
    If not, and as you say, can' download any spyware programs, etc, you might need to call your ISP; have them walk you through the connection settings/configurations.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2005, 05:38 PM
    Try clearing temp file
    jlhamon, hi, you might want to try clearing the temp file. OPen MY Computer icon. At the address bar at top, type in %temp%. Anything you see there, delete everything. The reason temp files needs to be clear is because that is the default area where WIN will download files to, unless you chose another folder as your D/L folder. When the temp files get filledup, it can cause lots of problems, including the prob of not being to d/l anything. A really good program I use is WINDOW WASHER 5.5 from webroot.com. After you install it, place checkmarks in most of the little boxes in the TABS under the OPTIONS & WASH ITEMS settings. Another really good program to correct PC errors is ERROR GUARD or PCBUGDOCTOR.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Automatic download of virus software [ 6 Answers ]

Please, is there anyone who can put me out of my misery?? I have got an icon in the bottom right of my screen (red dot with white cross) which tells me I have a virus and that it will now download the latest software to combat this. There is also a yellow triangle that pops up every now and then ...

AVG Anti-Virus Scan Question [ 3 Answers ]

I have AVG Anti-Virus free edition. When I run a full system scan manually, the test comes back complete with no virus found and no errors. However, when I schedule a test to run automatically at a specific time, the result always comes back with 13 viruses found. Specifically, various trojan...

AVG Anti Virus getting erros [ 2 Answers ]

?? Hi Using Winxp Home I can install the free version (not the trial) the actual free version of AVG anti virus, the install is OK When I try to open it and use it I get a "Missing DLL SHELL" error AVG will not help because I am using the "free" version Any ideas? Have uninstalled and...

Norton Anti Virus Protection [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone use this, if so, I need help. I know that with window updates, you need to download all critical updates. I assumed the same to be true with this program. Guys I normally use the computer in my office, that is maintained by a computer department. So I am learning the hard way. As...

Anti virus disable, is is a virus? [ 1 Answers ]

I was running AVG atni-virus, and it just stopped working... it would start to scan then completely close out, so I deleted it off my computer and re installed it I had the same problem so I got norton and I had the same problem.  so I'm guessing I have something on my computer that's turning them...

View more questions Search