Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Djones2009 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2012, 12:01 AM
    Mother regaining custody after signing papers for father having sole custody
    What are the circumstances for a mother regaining custody after signing papers for father to have sole custody?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 10, 2012, 01:02 AM
    Have the papers all went though court already, has the judge signed them ?

Nov 10, 2012, 07:46 AM
    Yes since July... the mother was on drugs now she has cleaned up n has a job. The daughter is 5. Would it be easy for her to regain custody back after my husband has received sole custody? Would she have to prove him unfit like he had to with her? Right now she gets 2 hours supervised visits 1,3,5th weekends
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 10, 2012, 08:17 AM
    IS he unfit?
    It isn't about proving something about him; she needs to prove she has changed. She can petition for a change in custody, but it won't be easy.

Nov 10, 2012, 12:20 PM
    No he isn't he is actually a pretty good dad. So all she has to do is show that she has changed? That's crazy to keep moving a kid from one house to another house. She lost her rights to the 2 boys through cps but we didn't want to wait on cps so that is why we went to court. I just thought the only way she would be able to get her daughter back is if our household was unstable not just by showing she has changed. Is there anything he can do to make he stays the managing conservator?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 10, 2012, 12:28 PM
    Managing conservator? Where are they located? Where do you stand in this?
    I didn't say 'all she has to do' anything! I said she can petition the court for a change in the custody arrangement, and courts generally don't want to deprive either parent of some amount of contact. But she may have to keep the current visitation, or she may get some more visitation, or it may take a very long time for a series of changes leading to shared custody, based on her ability to stay both drug free and financially stable. You can't go online expecting exact answers to questions that depend on many variables, and over time.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 10, 2012, 12:48 PM
    Staying clean for 6 months is not likely to get a change in custody. It might get some increased visitation.

Nov 10, 2012, 12:52 PM
    I wasn't asking for exact answers just was wondering what the possible outcome could be if she does take him back to court. We are in Texas. But thanks for your help have a great day.

Im looking for someone who does know something about what I'm asking not someone who wants to get smart

Nov 10, 2012, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Staying clean for 6 months is not likely to get a change in custody. It might get some increased visitation.

That's fine also we let her go over every other weekend anyway you know she is 5 and don't understand. We want her to see her mom still just not stay with her because this isn't her first rodeo with drugs and even though she gets clean she still hang with same crowd

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unmarried mother of 1 why.o. Daughter seeking sole custody from alcoholic father [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm not really sure where to start. My ex-boyfriend and I have a 1 y.o. daughter. My ex has always had a drinking problem, but after I left him in September, it slowly began to spiral completely out of control. He has been unemployed for going on two years now, and initially when I left we...

Mother regaining custody after its granted to father [ 13 Answers ]

My 15 month old daughter is in the custody of her father. She had been living with me full time and going with him maybe once a month for visitation. He told me that he filed for joint custody. When I told him it wasn't necessary he told me that he would have it dismissed if I took him off child...

Regaining custody after voluntarily signing over custody [ 4 Answers ]

I was a teen mother and I took care of my daughter from when she was born until she was about two and a half. I signed over permanent custody to my parents when I was unable to take care of her because of financial hardships and personal difficulties. I was told it had to be permanent because in...

View more questions Search