Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MissMimi Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2012, 11:30 PM
    My balcony has been taken over by pigeons. How do I get rid of them?
    I've had a problem with pigeons hanging out on my balcony for about 4 or 5 months. I contacted my buildings management and they sent in pest control after several weeks of having a cage set up out there, we caught 2 birds and I guess pest control thought that was enough. They haven't been back since. My management isn't being very helpful about this and now my balcony is COVERED in droppings. I want my balcony back. How can I get rid of them? Can their droppings make me sick in any way? How should I go about cleaning it all off? Will rice really kill the birds? I want them gone.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 9, 2012, 04:00 AM
    You make it impossible for them to perch. Get creative. I might use chicken wire and tin snips to create a sort of 'barbed wire' to wrap loosely around the railing, and well as put out loosely on the floor. Plastic barrier type fencing might do the same.
    To clean I would sprinkle bleach mixed with a little hot soapy water on the droppings, but not so much that it goes on the balcony below you. Wait 20 minutes then scrape off with an ice scraper, into a paper bag or bucket, again so as to not land on the balcony below.
    Once they are gone, put a plastic owl on the railing.
    Why kill some with a painful slow death, when more will just be back? You PREVENT them from liking your balcony.

I can't believe anyone thought that trapping pigeons would do anything!
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Nov 9, 2012, 03:40 PM
    Pigeon droppings can harbor a fungus and cause a lung problem for humans called histoplasmosis, but it usually only affects those who have weakened immune systems. Although there is controversy whether this really is possible. Otherwise, pigeons can sometimes be infested with mites. When pigeons are removed, but their nests are not, the remaining mites might find you to feed on.

Joy is right that exclusion is the most permanent method. There are products, like Nixalite, that are specifically designed for this purpose. If you use your imagination you can create your own exclusion methods. However, fake bird predators, like a plastic owl, and sound devices do not work. Also, if you can harass the pigeons regularly, they will stop coming round. Pigeons are not a protected species, and can be harassed any time they are causing problems.

Cleaning is cleaning. If you apply bleach like Joy recommends, let it soak a bit, to help kill pathogens. Maybe wear a dust mask to prevent breathing in particles. Here is a good link: Cleaning & Pigeons

Here are more internet resources:
    Internet Center for Wildlife Damage Management
    pigeon management
    Pigeons and disease
    eHow: Cleaning Pigeon Poop
    1stoppest Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Nov 15, 2012, 02:00 PM
    There is a gel that can be applied to balcony railing that the pigeons don't like. Or buy yourself a supersoaker and spray them every time they land on your balcony.
    Once again if you make them as uncomfortable as possible they will leave.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Borax treatment use in show pigeons [ 0 Answers ]

How to use borax to kill pigeon mites

Getting rid of Pigeons [ 1 Answers ]

Hi ,I live in an Apt cmplex that has a BIG pigeon problem... their feathers and feses are all over my patio... what can we do to get rid of the feathers pests? Thank you Kathy

How do you get rid of doves (pigeons) (birds) [ 1 Answers ]

We live in an apartment house. Recently, our little balcony and others on our (east) side of the building have been infiltrated by doves who leave mementos behind. How do we scare them away? Owl cutouts? Ribbons? Any thoughts would be very helpful. Thank you. Peter

View more questions Search