Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vkg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2012, 08:44 PM
    Taxes on Sale Proceeds from Real Estate
    I am a US citizen and I have a residential plot in India that I purchased in the year 1981 with Indian rupees before immigrating to US. I am planning to allow a builder to construct an apartment complex in my plot with an agreement that I will get 40 % of the apartments as my share towards consideration for the value of the plot. I may get 4 apartments as my share and I intend to sell them. The construction may take about 18 months, so I will get payments in the form of advances and final payments from retail buyers at different times during that period of 18 months. What will be the tax implications in India and US? Will it be treated as a long term capital gain?

Thanks,
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 9, 2012, 09:28 AM
    I cannot comment on the Indian tax issues.

For U.S. taxes, it appears to be a long
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 9, 2012, 09:29 AM
    Long-term capital gain with installment payments.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Nov 9, 2012, 04:53 PM
    Sounds like a partnership for US tax purposes. You are contributing property and sharing 40% of the profits. No legal entity is necessary to create a partnership for US tax purposes. You would need to file Form 8865 in the year the partnership is created.

If all of the apartments were sold for cash and you were to get only cash (instead of apartments) I would think that your 40% share of the income would be taxable as ordinary income (although I would need to look at this further). If taxable as ordinary income if all the apartments were sold for cash, I don't think that taking your profits in-kind as apartments would convert the income to capital gains.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sale of deceased real estate [ 3 Answers ]

I am the trustee of my mother's irrevocable trust. She is now deceased. I am selling the her residence and would like to know if I have to pay federal taxes on the amount I receive from the sale.

Taxes on Real Estate Sale [ 4 Answers ]

How much tax would a person have to pay on a sale of real estate in a "flip"? For example, let's say I bought a foreclosure house for $50,000 cash (no mortgage), and put $25,000 into it for repair/renovation (for a total expense of $75,000), then sold the house for $125,000 a few months later. I...

What taxes I will owe on real estate sale [ 2 Answers ]

I have a confusing problem. My family has recently sold property that was left to us. The property was only titled to an aunt, and one cousin. Everyone , even the aunt and cousin knew that the division of property was a 25% split, and then further divided into smaller %. Two families got 25%, ...

Real estate foreclosure sale [ 2 Answers ]

A home in my neighborhood has been vacant since January 2007, the owner had died. There are no known relatives. The lawn has been taken care of by the neighbors to keep the area looking nice. The house is still fully furnished car in garage and all. No one has been in the house except the...

Taxes on sale of inherited real estate [ 1 Answers ]

We are selling the farm/residence we inherited from my father.what taxes are we going to be required to pay here in Virginia?

View more questions Search