Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NN2007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2007, 05:56 AM
    F-1 Student, Federal &/vs. State Tax return
    I have a question about the State Tax return.
    I am a student on an F-1 visa and have been filing the 1040 NR-EZ and 8843 every year (as told by my school). In previous years a treaty prevented any federal or state tax to be withheld from my earnings, but not this past year (treaty with Germany only good for 5 years)

I did not pass the substantial presence test in the last year.

Can I file for a Federal and State tax return? If so, which forms do I need to use for the State tax? (I am studying in Wisconsin).

Also, I was told I could list such things as rent, etc. as deductibles... is that true?
    I would appreciate your help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 15, 2007, 11:17 AM
    If you arrived in the U.S. in 2001 or before, your F-1 tax exemption has expired, so file as a resident alien, filing Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ.

You also need to file a state tax rteurn; you can get the forms from the state government website.

No, rent is NOT deductible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier. Period of Visit: March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ August 2006 – Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ My company paid the salary...

How much state tax and federal tax do I have to give [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on OPT right now and I am working in virginia. Could some please tell me how much state tax and fedal tax, I have to give from my salary each month?

Federal tax return [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in USA from July-31-2006 till date.Im currently in L1 visa. I have paid Federal tax for around $2000 till Dec-2006. SInce I was in USA for less than 180 days in 2006 shall I be able to get the whole Federal tax in return?? Please clarify. Makesh Kumar.

Federal Tax Return rejected [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I e-filed my federal taxes & it was rejected. (married filing jointly) Below is the reason given to me. My wife is on H4 & doesn't have a SSN, she has a ITIN.

Federal return collected by state for state liability [ 1 Answers ]

I live in wi and filed married jointly I owe the wisc. Dep. Of revenue money but I have paid off the IRS . I filed my fed. Return electronicly and it was accepded, can the wisc .dep. Of rev. take my fed tax return? Or will my fed return be deposited in my account that I have specified with my...

View more questions Search