Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rusty50 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2012, 10:01 AM
    Overworking a pump
    Just installed a new pressure tank for my house. I had a diaphragm leak in old yank and you guys helped me with solving that problem. I went from a 33gal tank to an 85 gal tank. Now, it seams like it takes a long time to fill the tank up. I have an 115volts 1/2 hp jacuzzi jet pump. The cut in is 30psi and cut out is 44psi. Should I have the cut in at 20psi and cut out at 40psi?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2012, 04:02 PM
    I wouldn't. The worst time for a pump is the first second or two when it turns on. With a larger tank, your pump will cycle fewer times. Besides, going from 30/44 to 20/40 would only lower the cut out pressure by 4#, which is not enough to worry about.

How far down your well is it to water?

Nov 8, 2012, 05:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I wouldn't. The worst time for a pump is the first second or two when it turns on. With a larger tank, your pump will cycle fewer times. Besides, going from 30/44 to 20/40 would only lower the cutout pressure by 4#, which is not enough to worry about.

How far down your well is it to water?

Thanks, I am not sure how far down. I just bought this place last year and there wasn't any info on how deep the well is. My neighbor said it is a shallow well . Also, it takes about ten minutes for the pump to reach cut off.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2012, 05:19 PM
    You almost tripled the capacity, should take longer.

Nov 8, 2012, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    You almost tripled the capacity, should take longer.
    I know but after going through a couple of months short cycling it just sounds weird. Now the next project is converting it from 115vac to 230vac and this should help reduce the amount of amps and help lower the electric bill.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 8, 2012, 05:54 PM
    I say you are good to go. The pump may run longer, but it is also off longer. Short cycling is no good at all, and you have eliminated that problem. You are on the right track, get that pump switched over to 230v and you will be even further ahead in your quest for a happy pump system.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2012, 07:34 PM
    Ten minutes on an 80 gallon tank is not surprising. Better one ten minute cycle than three shorter ones.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pump lost prime and overheated motor runs but does not pump is the pump fried [ 4 Answers ]

Over night the pump lost primed and melted the sched. 40 fittings I replaced all the fittings and cannot get pump to prime the motor runs is it possible that the propeller was damaged from the heat?//

How to calculat for Diaphragm tank V for a booster pump station include a Jocky pump? [ 0 Answers ]

How to calculate the Diaphragm tank "V" for a booster pump station include a 4 duty pumps and Jockey pump "Q 1p" each pump = 40 L/s. "Qj" Jockey Pump = 10.5 L/s. Can calcaulate based on each Q ? ("Q1p" , "Q4p" or "Qj")

Grundfos recirc pump - ticking noise and pump warm to the touch - Normal? [ 2 Answers ]

We have an approx 8 y/old Grundfos recirc pump on our hot water line and today I notice it is making a ticking noise (first time I've noticed this) and it is "quite" warm to the touch--I've never touched it before so I'm not sure if this is always the case. Should I be worried? I don't recall that...

Is Meyers pentair sewage ejector pump model SR1830 a quality pump? [ 1 Answers ]

Just installed a sewage ejector pump and I'm somewhat concerned about the manufacture. Not seeing very much information about Meyer. I see Zoeller and Little Giant, so I'm wondering if I got a quality systems. Considering all that was required to get the system in I don't want to revisit this for...

View more questions Search