Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2012, 07:52 AM
    Legal Pot ?
    Not if Eric Holder has his way .

My Way News - Pot votes in 2 states challenge US drug war

Will the President reign in his Attorney General from forcing yet another showdown between the national government and the states over Federalism issues ? I expect not . Obama envisions himself in some ways like a later -day Richard Nixon... espcially in his constructing of an Imperial Presidency. .
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2012, 08:23 AM
    Hello tom:

Interesting article. We await the feds.

excon
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2012, 08:26 AM
    Are you going to be bitterly clinging to your guns when they come?
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2012, 08:39 AM
    Hello again, Steve:

Chill out.. You lost. Get over it.

excon
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2012, 08:52 AM
    You sound juts like the uniter-in-chief, Barack "I won" Obama.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 8, 2012, 01:53 PM
    We can always apply "don't ask don't tell" to pot like we did to gays can't we?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2012, 02:28 PM
    Some people make mountains out of mole hills. What this means is the local police won't be looking for pot unless they stumble on a plantation, the fed's can still chase the mules through those hills. Surely there are other instances in law where state law differs.
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2012, 11:11 AM
    Hello again,

UPDATE. Today, it's LEGAL. Or is it? The state says yes. The feds say no. How am I to tell?

Uhhh, what was the question?

excon
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2012, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again,

UPDATE. Today, it's LEGAL. Or is it? The state says yes. The feds say no. How am I to tell?

Uhhh, what was the question??

excon
    Maybe if you light up in the presence of local police they'll protect you from the feds.
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2012, 12:28 PM
    Hello again, Steve:

Maybe if you light up in the presence of local police they'll protect you from the feds.
    The best we've got is our two senators, NEITHER of which is doing a damn thing to support their own state in this regard...

Whereas, the Colorado lawmakers have taken more decisive action. Three house members backed a bill to prevent the fed's from pre-empting state law. Of the 10 representatives who authored the bill, NONE are from Washington.

Maybe Patty Murry should smoke a joint and work on THIS instead running headlong over the cliff.

Excon
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2012, 01:27 PM
    Ex I don't see the problem, possession for your own use is legal, trafficking in any form isn't, so you can possess it but you can't buy it at the corner store. It is perfectly clear. Maybe you can grow your own, maybe not,
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2012, 04:27 AM
    No . The problem is that the Feds still have possession laws... and as we all know ;the left believes in the supremacy of the Federal Government .
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2012, 07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    no . The problem is that the Feds still have posession laws ... and as we all know ;the left believes in the supremacy of the Federal Government .
    Kind of puts them in a knot, like running from raising taxes and cutting defense spending. .
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2012, 03:51 PM
    These things are question of enforcement, so if you get caught in an FBI or a Federal drugs bust you will be done for possession, but the local cops aren't going to be worried about small quantities unless there is dealing. This is why having state laws and federal laws can create a mess, but you average teen isn't going to start life of crime for possession
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 7, 2012, 08:34 PM
    The federal law can be changed to take marijuana off the control list, but that's up to the congress. Until then the feds have to do their job.
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2012, 02:46 PM
    You want Congress who can't agree on a change to tax rates to change the law on drugs, good luck with that
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2012, 05:02 PM
    Jefferson and Madison argued that if the federal government has the exclusive right to judge the extent of its own powers, it will continue to grow regardless of elections, the separation of powers, and other limits on government power. States have always had the power of nullification of Federal Law. there were states that nullified prohibition long before the amendment was reversed.
    Now everyone here knows what I think of legalizing pot. But that is not the issue here . The people of Washington have had their say.
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2012, 06:26 PM
    It could be said the people had their say recently, it doesn't stop obstructionism. By your own words Tom you have both said that the federal law supercedes the state law and the state law supercedes the federal law. I guess it is that common good argument all over again. Who is the common, the people of the state or the people of the country. Seriously I don't know why you have a federal country
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2012, 07:09 PM
    Yeah there are some things that are Federal perusal . I understand it can be confusing.. But all one has to do is look at the defined powers of the Federal Government in the Constitution and the 10 th amendment as a guide.
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2012, 01:50 AM
    What does it matter if people do their own thing anyway, you had a war because some states wanted to leave, those people obviously thought the state transcended the constitution. You should have let them go

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the legal rights of an adopted donor child, once he/she reaches legal age? [ 4 Answers ]

Does the child have a right to know the donor-father? If the adopted family (legal family) underwent a divorce, what child-support rights do the child have pertaining to the legal father? Especially once legal age (21) is reached? Can the child/teen take his biological father's last name?

Nys parole PO denies any contact w/ legal wife - criminal hist. Is this legal [ 1 Answers ]

Parole denies any contact, phone, letters, visits, etc. w/ my legal wife because she is a convicted felon and one rule while on parole is to have no contact w/ known felons

Legal status (student visa) becoming legal resident? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a legal resident green card holder and have been so for 28 years. I met someone and fell in love and got married. The problem is she is here on a student visa. I would like to know if it is possible for her to obtain legal obtain status. There are a few circumstances that I feel that may...

Is there legal visitation rights for nonbiological or legal parents [ 5 Answers ]

I am from South Dakota and I had met a man that had full legal custody of his infant son. The biological mother very rare saw the child and was not involved in his life. I started dating this man when the child was 8 months old and we were engaged by the time he was 11 months old. The child's...

Giving up legal right to pursue legal actions [ 8 Answers ]

I want to up all legal right to pursue legal action against my male partner before I give birth to my unborn child. How do I go about doing that? I mean I want it in written form that I give up the right to sue him for any type of child support or any type of care to my child. Also I don't want to...

View more questions Search