Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2012, 04:23 AM
    Secession is not the answer. The Federal Government knowing it's place is the answer. Reality tells me that the people are deciding the marijuana laws at the state level in defiance of the Federal law. It's not just Washington and Colorado. There are now 17 states, and the District of Columbia that have legalized medical pot in defiance of Federal law. So now the Justice Dept has a choice to make.
    This week the people of Seattle gathered at the Space Needle and puffed away . Not only were the Feds a no show ,but the city itself ,after threatening to enforce the public smoking ban ( penalty a $100 ticket) ,did nothing to stop it.

Now will the Obots suddenly say that because it's Federal law that theyhave no choice but to enforce it ? Well then why haven't they employed the same logic to immigration laws when cities declare themselves 'sanctuary cities .Why isn't the Justice Dept defending DOMA (laws that were also passed by Congress )? Best guess is that the leader of the Choom gang will let this one ride .
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2012, 04:37 AM
    Hello again, tom:

Best guess is that the leader of the Choom gang will let this one ride .
    IF they let this "ride", the war against marijuana is OVER. If THAT war is over, then the ENTIRE war on drugs is over... Now, that would make ME happy, but I believe there are too many vested interests to let it "ride". Letting it ride means LIVELY HOODS would disappear. We're talking about the DEA, the prison industrial complex, the local cops who depend on drug money seizures for operating expenses, defense lawyers and prosecutors, judges and politicians...

Plus, how does the country just say it was WRONG after SOOOO much devastation? Nope, they'll NEVER admit they were wrong. I believe the feds will STOP the states.

Excon
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2012, 04:53 AM
    Yes Ex corruption is a blast isn't it, too many on the teat, to do the right thing, you're whole country has gone to hell boozing and smoking dope
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Dec 9, 2012, 05:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Secession is not the answer. The Federal Government knowing it's place is the answer. Reality tells me that the people are deciding the marijuana laws at the state level in defiance of the Federal law. It's not just Washington and Colorado. There are now 17 states, and the District of Columbia that have legalized medical pot in defiance of Federal law. So now the Justice Dept has a choice to make.
    This week the people of Seattle gathered at the Space Needle and puffed away . Not only were the Feds a no show ,but the city itself ,after threatening to enforce the public smoking ban ( penalty a $100 ticket) ,did nothing to stop it.

Now will the Obots suddenly say that because it's Federal law that theyhave no choice but to enforce it ? Well then why haven't they employed the same logic to immigration laws when cities declare themselves 'sanctuary cities .Why isn't the Justice Dept defending DOMA (laws that were also passed by Congress )? Best guess is that the leader of the Choom gang will let this one ride .

Hi Tom,

The federal government knowing its place comes under Amendment Number..
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2012, 05:10 AM
    No it doesn't signal the end of Federal laws against dangerous drugs. Do you hear a big outcry for the legalization of coke and other dangerous narcotics ? Nope and you won't . Enough people now think that laws against marijuana are misguided . And it is only pot where the laws are being changed. Trust me ;the FDA and other drug enforcement agencies are only gaining power in this country under Obama's leadership .Oh the Feds will drop the hammer on anyone who goes past the state law. But tokers can sleep well at night if they stay inside the parameters of the state law.
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2012, 05:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tut317 View Post
    hi tom,

the federal government knowing its place comes under amendment number..........?

Dec 9, 2012, 05:17 AM

They will probably get you on the Commerce Clause. Or the Necessary and Proper Clause.

Tut
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2012, 05:34 AM
    Hello again, tom:

In MY view, they're legalizing marijuana because they've come to the conclusion that prohibition doesn't work. You think they're doing it because prohibition DOES work, but that marijuana isn't too bad.

I remind you that the feds have pot listed as a schedule #1 drug, along with heroine and cocaine, as drugs with NO medical benefits. They CANNOT maintain THAT status quo. If they do, then they're admitting that they lied about THOSE drugs too (and they have).

They'll have to DO something. I think it'll be the drug warrior's last stand.

excon
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2012, 05:42 AM
    Ex marjie has the same medical benefits as morphine and cocaine, heroin and asprin. The all help with pain, but they are not being used for this purpose, they are being used to stupify a population and if the recent vote is any indication it is working. So make it available on prescription, but understand it has some very undesirable characteristics. Look recently they found exterosy was not addictive, comeon tell me another one

Dec 9, 2012, 05:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, tom:

In MY view, they're legalizing marijuana because they've come to the conclusion that prohibition doesn't work. You think they're doing it because prohibition DOES work, but that marijuana isn't too bad.

I remind you that the feds have pot listed as a schedule #1 drug, along with heroine and cocaine, as drugs with NO medical benefits. They CANNOT maintain THAT status quo. If they do, then they're admitting that they lied about THOSE drugs too (and they have).

They'll have to DO something. I think it'll be the drug warrior's last stand.

excon
    Hi Ex,

Someone will challenge the legitimacy of the states to introduce such legislation.If it isn't now it will be down the track at some stage.

Tut
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2012, 05:58 AM
    Hello again, clete, & Tut:

Look. Nobody is going to argue that those drugs should be legal because they're SAFE. They should be legal because making them ILLEGAL doesn't work. It's really no more difficult than that.

I DO agree with both you and tom.. They will NOT give up their drug war. I cannot imagine that THEY'LL make the distinctions about pot that I am, my state is, and every other intelligent person is.

Tut, when and if the feds move, I believe it WILL be a civil suit against the state(s). I think we'll find out VERY soon.

excon
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2012, 06:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TUT317 View Post
    They will probably get you on the Commerce Clause. Or the Necessary and Proper Clause.

Tut
    Yeah I know how the Feds have distorted those clauses beyond all recognition or intent with the blessing of SCOTUS .

Dec 9, 2012, 06:18 AM
    yeah I know how the Feds have distorted those clauses beyond all recognition or intent with the blessing of SCOTUS .

Well, I guess that's the way it goes. The Federalists were never going to be happy with the ratification of the Constitution unless they had some input. They created a niche that was always going to burgeon given the passage of time. Most things becomes clear in hindsight.

Tut
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2012, 07:10 AM
    And the Constitution would never had been passed without the promise of a Bill of Rights that gave us the 1st 10 amendments. That is why I referenced Jefferson and Madison. Madison was in Congress and led the charge to get the amendments in Congress' 1s session.
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2012, 02:05 PM
    yeah I know how the Feds have distorted those clauses beyond all recognition or intent with the blessing of SCOTUS .
    At what point isn't buying and selling a substance commerce, it is not a distortion to say trafficking in drugs is commerce. Your problem Tom is you think that the Constitution shouldn't be taken as a whole but you can use whatever convenient little snippet for your own benefit. I find it amazing that my country has a constitution somewhat similar to yours and yet it is rarely referred to in debates and very few laws need to be referred for adjudication.
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2012, 02:29 PM
    Good for Australia. Under American progressive leadership everything and anything can be defined as commerce. They've used it since Roosevelt to give the Federal Government unlimited power.

Dec 9, 2012, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    I find it amazing that my country has a constitution somewhat similar to yours and yet it is rarely referred to in debates and very few laws need to be referred for adjudication.
    I think the reason is that we don't have a Bill of Rights.The American Constitution is a product of the Enlightenment. Basically this means that faith as a basis for understand politics, the physical world and morality were replaced by human reason.I don't think we can underestimate the impact of the French Revolution here in this process.

The American Civil War probably had some impact on our thinking before we decided to enact a constitution. Rather than a Bill of Rights we have precedent and tradition. Some people may see such things as 'rights' not being included in a constitution as a problem.

The problem with having a constitution that grew out of the Enlightenment is that anything established by reason must necessarily have the potential to be changed by reason. What was regarded as 'reasoned' in one generation may well be rejected as unreasonable by future generations. I think this is the trend we are seeing the moment. Once you establish something through a reasoned approach you automatically plant the seeds of change.

Tut
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2012, 03:09 PM
    So the founders weren't stupid after all, they left a get out clause and when they are finished with the commerce clause there is the general welfare clause. What the problem is is the Bill of Rights which cuts across the original intent
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2012, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TUT317 View Post
    I think the reason is that we don't have a Bill of Rights.The American Constitution is a product of the Enlightenment. Basically this means that faith as a basis for understand politics, the physical world and morality were replaced by human reason.I don't think we can underestimate the impact of the French Revolution here in this process.
    I have a little difficulty with the statement product of the enlightenment. I'm sure the americans of the day were at pains to avoid the excesses of the French Revolution, this is why they allowed the population to retain certain liberties. As to the Bill of Rights we have unabated continuence of the common law rights, whereas the americans had to restate and establish these rights

The American Civil War probably had some impact on our thinking before we decided to enact a constitution. Rather than a Bill of Rights we have precedent and tradition. Some people may see such things as 'rights' not being included in a constitution as a problem.
    Undoubtedly the american civil war is the reason why we don't have an explicit right to bear arms, seen in the light of Eureka, Kelly and Castle Hill, they would have avoided that

The problem with having a constitution that grew out of the Enlightenment is that anything established by reason must necessarily have the potential to be changed by reason. What was regarded as 'reasoned' in one generation may well be rejected as unreasonable by future generations. I think this is the trend we are seeing the moment. Once you establish something through a reasoned approach you automatically plant the seeds of change.

Tut
    The problem is that the changes come about by legislation, a political process, rather than constitutional change and this creates a contention between original intent and current intent.

The law today allows certain things and bans certain things that would have been unthinkable to the american founders
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2012, 07:40 AM
    Clete and Tut ,

I don't think we can underestimate the impact of the French Revolution here in this process.
    I have a little difficulty with the statement product of the enlightenment. I'm sure the americans of the day were at pains to avoid the excesses of the French Revolution, this is why they allowed the population to retain certain liberties. As to the Bill of Rights we have unabated continuence of the common law rights, whereas the americans had to restate and establish these rights
    The French Revolution was 1789 . The US Constitution was 1787 . Now the French Revolution did have an impact on the attitudes of the founders during Washington's adm ,and later Adams' .(there was a clear francophile and anglophile divide) But it did not impact the writing of the constitution.

Once you establish something through a reasoned approach you automatically plant the seeds of change.
    What the problem is is the Bill of Rights which cuts across the original intent
    I've said it before . There is a process in place for constitutional change. Some of the amendments I don't like . But I accept them as the constitutional law of the land . What I don't accept is a rewrite of the constitution by lifetime appointed ,unelected black robed oligarchs .
    the problem is that the changes come about by legislation, a political process, rather than constitutional change and this creates a contention between original intent and current intent.

The law today allows certain things and bans certain things that would have been unthinkable to the american founders
    Yup ; The Legislature ,the Executive ,the Judiciary was not given such power .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the legal rights of an adopted donor child, once he/she reaches legal age? [ 4 Answers ]

Does the child have a right to know the donor-father? If the adopted family (legal family) underwent a divorce, what child-support rights do the child have pertaining to the legal father? Especially once legal age (21) is reached? Can the child/teen take his biological father's last name?

Nys parole PO denies any contact w/ legal wife - criminal hist. Is this legal [ 1 Answers ]

Parole denies any contact, phone, letters, visits, etc. w/ my legal wife because she is a convicted felon and one rule while on parole is to have no contact w/ known felons

Legal status (student visa) becoming legal resident? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a legal resident green card holder and have been so for 28 years. I met someone and fell in love and got married. The problem is she is here on a student visa. I would like to know if it is possible for her to obtain legal obtain status. There are a few circumstances that I feel that may...

Is there legal visitation rights for nonbiological or legal parents [ 5 Answers ]

I am from South Dakota and I had met a man that had full legal custody of his infant son. The biological mother very rare saw the child and was not involved in his life. I started dating this man when the child was 8 months old and we were engaged by the time he was 11 months old. The child's...

Giving up legal right to pursue legal actions [ 8 Answers ]

I want to up all legal right to pursue legal action against my male partner before I give birth to my unborn child. How do I go about doing that? I mean I want it in written form that I give up the right to sue him for any type of child support or any type of care to my child. Also I don't want to...

View more questions Search