Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    love2hunt Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2012, 03:50 PM
    Sewer gate
    We constantly have sewer gas smell in our church. I have filled all the traps that aren't being used and we still encounter this problem!
    We need help??
    SEWER GATE?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 7, 2012, 05:03 PM
    Where is the smell strongest? May be a ruptured wax ring under a toilet. Sewer smells can be a hard thing to locate. Best of luck.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2012, 05:03 PM
    Sewergate? Is that like Watergate? Are you talking about a float ball that keeps sewer backup water from coming out of the drain?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 8, 2012, 08:01 AM
    I want to know exactly what you think a "sewer gate" is and how it will help" Have you checked for a open vent in the attic? If you can't locate the source of the smell there's a test that will help. Call in a p[lumber to perform a smoke or peppermint test on your drainage and vents. Good luck, Tom

Nov 8, 2012, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    Where is the smell strongest? May be a ruptured wax ring under a toilet. Sewer smells can be a hard thing to locate. Best of luck.
    Thanks for your reply, the smell is everywhere and it is a large bldg

Nov 8, 2012, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    I wanna know exactly what you think a "sewer gate" is and how it will help" Have you checked for a open vent in the attic? If you can't locate the source of the smell there's a test that will help. Call in a p[lumber to perform a smoke or peppermint test on your drainage and vents. Good luck, Tom
    Thanks tom, there is no attic space in this bldg. it is a large bldg and the smell is over many areas. As far as a sewer gate I was thinking like a check valve on the main exit?

Quote Originally Posted by love2hunt View Post
    thanks tom, there is no attic space in this bldg. it is a large bldg and the smell is over many areas. As far as a sewer gate I was thinking like a check valve on the main exit?
    What about hoseing out the vents

I forgot to add it takes just about ten minutes to fill pressure tank

Nov 8, 2012, 09:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Sewergate? is that like Watergate? are you talking about a float ball that keeps sewer backup water from coming out of the drain?
    I`m sure sewergate is an antiquated term used in midevil times, but I was thinking check valve on the main exit line
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 8, 2012, 01:30 PM
    They do make a sewer line check valve but it's only to prevent the city sewer from backing up in your building. Not for smells. Have you checked all the floor drain traps to be sure they're full? What have you done to locate the smells source?
    what about hoseing out the vents
    If there's a partial blockage the water would go right past. A better way would be to snake them.
    I forgot to add it takes just about ten minutes to fill pressure tank
    One problem at a time, This has nothing to do with smell. Regards Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 8, 2012, 02:20 PM
    Any floor drains in the building ?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 8, 2012, 04:15 PM
    If it's that strong, this could very well be a safety/health issue. I suggest getting a plumber in there asap to take a look (or smell) around. Many times smells are associated with sewer, but end up being something completely different (other gases, dead animals, etc). I would start with a plumber and see what they have to say. Either way, this needs to be addressed quickly. Good luck, and do please keep us posted on what is found. Wishing you the best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Gate/Check Valve [ 16 Answers ]

Plumber recommending we install a sewer gate check valve system to avoid future back-ups when huge rains/thaws overwhelm storm sewer system. Has anyone used these - recommend? Plumber guarantees we will have no future problems.

Sewer Gate/Check Valve [ 2 Answers ]

A check valve is a great way to hold back the raw sewage. A floating ball valve is OK if it doesn't get dirty with tp and not seal properly. Certainly , you cannot use any toilet or shower when the valve is closed but that's OK!! I will glady go somewhere else to hit the john and shower so I...

To wet test a sewer drain install, do you plug the sewer pipe as it enters the septic [ 2 Answers ]

Three questions. For a sewer drain wet test, do you plug the drain as it enters the new septic tank? Where does the 10' wet stack go and can you change direction 45 degrees under a slab in the main sewer drain line ?

The 9th gate [ 1 Answers ]

Were can I find a copy of the 9th gate kingdom of shadows used in the movie starring johnny depp.

View more questions Search