Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AbbieOliver Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2012, 11:00 AM
    How did my hamster die? Should I get another hamster?
    I got my first hamster at Christmas 2011. In the last couple of days I noticed he was acting a little weird. He was a lot more hyper and he would be up nibbling at the cage at 7am. I looked online for vets nearby but I couldn't see any that mentioned hamsters. The next day I came back from school and saw that he was lying in his hideout. I went out and when I got back he was lying in a weird way. I opened up his hideout and saw he was lying on his side. He wasn't breathing. I noticed he had a yellow belly and a small bump that looked like a spot or bite on his paw. I don't know what was wrong with him. As he was my first ever pet I had grown really close to him and felt really guilty I hadn't done something as soon as he started acting weird. I really miss him. My mum told me I should get another but I don't know. No hamster can replace Stitch.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Nov 7, 2012, 11:09 AM
    Hamsters have a short life span. They are very sensitive and die quickly if you don't catch that they are ill early.
    Also, they are nocturnal.

I would suggest to get a different pet with a longer life span. I had guinea pigs and they all lived to be 10-14 years old.
    AbbieOliver Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2012, 11:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by taxesforaliens View Post
    Hamsters have a short life span. They are very sensitive and die quickly if you don't catch that they are ill early.
    Also, they are nocturnal.

I would suggest to get a different pet with a longer life span. I had guinea pigs and they all lived to be 10-14 years old.
    Thanks. I might look into getting a guinea pig as I really loved my dwarf hamster and it was really hard when he died. If guinea pigs have longer life spans I wouldn't have to worry as much.
    Thanks so much for the advice!
    UK Apple Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2012, 02:52 AM
    I think guinea pigs would be a great idea but do look up about caring for them as there not quite the same as hamsters and make sure you gaet more than one :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hamster [ 6 Answers ]

My hamster died just a few weeks ago... :( I don't know how! She was shaking a few days earlier but then she was fine the next! I went to my friends house for the night and came home to play with her and she was gone. Cold, eyes closed, stiff. We picked her up and she was cold. She was all stiff. I...

My hamster has become mean [ 5 Answers ]

My hamster is mean it is a female. And I used to hold her until she bit me. Do you think she will do it again or should I just leave her alone. Or wear a glove.

Got my new hamster [ 1 Answers ]

First of all I would like to thank all those who helped me by supplying info about hamsters. Yesterday I went and got one. He or she I'm not really sure for the gender, is named Chico. Our two cats never even noticed him yet, thank god. And for rex, well he hasn't tried to eat him so... Lilttle...

Hamster's ear [ 6 Answers ]

BAHAHA. I've loaded this forum with hamster posts My hamster's ear is bent back, and there seems to be a small tear at the top. There is no blood, and she is still eating and drinking, and is still active at night. Overall she seems fine, but I noticed the ear last night before I went to bed...

View more questions Search